abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip Rockbox (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Rockbox CPU noise? (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55312)

Nausicaa 05-26-2010 03:51 AM

Rockbox CPU noise?

I'm not sure if anyone else finds it a problem or even noticed it, but can you hear a mechanical sound (soft beeps and clicks is the closest thing I can compare it to) when using the Clip to play music? It doesn't appear in the Sansa firmware. Is this even considered a problem enough to correct via software? If not, is there an easy way to get rid of it? It is a lot more apparent when listening to quieter tracks or parts with silence.

funman 05-26-2010 06:26 AM

I think it's a problem on all Clipv2.

The noise is
  • regular
  • independent of volume (you can hear very well when volume is muted)
  • absent when playback is paused
  • absent when listening to FM radio
  • completely absent in the OF
  • not present on rockboxed Clip+ / Fuzev2
  • dependant on the CPU frequency, the fastest the CPU is, the more frequent the noise is.
saratoga suggested it was a power management issue rather than a DAC problem, if you have an idea on how to track down the problem suggestions are welcome (here or on rockbox forums/irc).

Nausicaa 05-26-2010 11:08 AM

I don't think its absent when the playback is paused. I hear a distinct 'fizz'. Its happily nonexistent while traveling as the background noise cover it well. Is it on the clip v1 as well?

My version is 26241-10052. Is there a way to alter the CPU frequency? I looked in the debug menu and I'm not smart enough to figure out where it is.

I should have mentioned: Thanks for all your (Rockbox developer's) hard work. I bought an iPod mini because of you guys, and have been using it for three years. Rockbox makes the player for me, if it has Rockbox, I buy it. Although I jumped the gun on the D2, and its been sitting unused because of the horrible touchscreen (It took $250 to convince me to never buy another touchscreen product again, haha). I have other iPods and refuse to buy another Apple product unless it has Rockbox on it, and Zune isn't even an option because of the lack of Rockbox.

funman 05-26-2010 01:24 PM

You're right, some noise is still present when paused, but not the regular "tick".

Clipv1 is all right afaict

Rockin Munki 05-26-2010 05:33 PM

It's not absent in Rockboxed Clip+ either. While I haven't heard a "regular tick" there are definite little beeps and whirs during playback and when paused. I don't notice them while playing music but only audiobooks and podcasts as they are much quieter and have more silence. It's not ruining my player but it is a bit annoying sometimes.

Kenaneu 05-26-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funman (Post 473902)
Clipv1 is all right afaict

I hear tons of noise during playback of quiet passages on both my Clip v1 and Fuze v1. This noise is absent on the Clip+ (other than when paused/navigating folders, etc.).

Artmuzz 05-28-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Munki (Post 473965)
It's not absent in Rockboxed Clip+ either. While I haven't heard a "regular tick" there are definite little beeps and whirs during playback and when paused. I don't notice them while playing music but only audiobooks and podcasts as they are much quieter and have more silence. It's not ruining my player but it is a bit annoying sometimes.

Hmm, I cannot say I hear any noise, beeps or whirs when I play music on my Rockboxed Clip+. How I know is because when I play certain tracks that have a quiet middle bit there doesn't seem to be any noise.

So I am happy to say the noise is absent on my Clip+

Art

Hirsch2k 05-29-2010 10:07 AM

I also noticed beeps when using fade in/out on play/pause with rockbox on my clip+

orby 08-01-2010 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by funman (Post 473811)
I think it's a problem on all Clipv2.

The noise is
  • regular
  • independent of volume (you can hear very well when volume is muted)
  • absent when playback is paused
  • absent when listening to FM radio
  • completely absent in the OF
  • not present on rockboxed Clip+ / Fuzev2
  • dependant on the CPU frequency, the fastest the CPU is, the more frequent the noise is.
saratoga suggested it was a power management issue rather than a DAC problem, if you have an idea on how to track down the problem suggestions are welcome (here or on rockbox forums/irc).

furthermore, noise is different for different codecs. (i used the attached files for testing)

I hope this problem can be solved sometime - some tracks are unbearable to listen to with rockbox.
that makes me switch to OF, but then again navigation and all the comfort and functionality of rockbox is missing.

orby 08-17-2010 10:00 PM

can someone please answer this question:

- is there no noise at all when using clip+ OR sansa v2? that is _really no noise at all_?

thank you for answering. :-)

dispose 08-18-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch2k (Post 474408)
I also noticed beeps when using fade in/out on play/pause with rockbox on my clip+

Me too. That's why I have fade in/out turned off. It would be really nice if it could get fixed.

Marvin the Martian 08-18-2010 11:34 PM

I don't like the fade in and out.....if I want to pause it, then it should pause.....and if I want it to play, then it should play! ;)

dispose 08-19-2010 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian (Post 492299)
I don't like the fade in and out.....if I want to pause it, then it should pause.....and if I want it to play, then it should play! ;)

I get your point, but the issue here is the CPU noise... ;)

Marvin the Martian 08-19-2010 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dispose (Post 492337)
I get your point, but the issue here is the CPU noise... ;)

Fair enough!:) I don't hear it.

dispose 08-19-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian (Post 492356)
Fair enough!:) I don't hear it.

Are you sure? Try enabling fade in/out, and then pause/start a track multiple times. I hear a slight beep 3 out of 4 times I do this. Very weird.

orby 08-19-2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orby (Post 492028)
can someone please answer this question:

- is there no noise at all when using clip+ OR sansa v2? that is _really no noise at all_?

thank you for answering. :-)

anyone..? :o

WalkGood 08-19-2010 08:01 AM

I hear a faint noise between tracks on the clip v1, itís there as well during play back but I can not hear it unless itís during low passages. BTW it doesn't bother me considering all the functionality I gain.

orby 08-19-2010 08:45 AM

of course it can only be heard in quiet passages.
i listen a lot to pieces for solo piano. in quiet passages of some pieces, at least for the clip v2, it's really unbearable.
you speak of a clip v1. is the clip+ / sansa v2 different, concerning this noise?

i consider buying one, if this is the case.

i hope more people can help me.

thank you, WalkGood, so far

jsmaye 08-19-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

of course it can only be heard in quiet passages.
i listen a lot to pieces for solo piano. in quiet passages of some pieces, at least for the clip v2, it's really unbearable.
you speak of a clip v1. is the clip+ / sansa v2 different, concerning this noise?

I only hear a little <beep> or <chirp> when pausing or powering off, so merely listening to low passages shouldn't be a problem - it doesn't happen during playback or moving track-to-track.

dispose 08-19-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmaye (Post 492379)
I only hear a little <beep> or <chirp> when pausing or powering off, so merely listening to low passages shouldn't be a problem - it doesn't happen during playback or moving track-to-track.

True. You're talking about a Clip+, right?