abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   Clip went through washing machine! Can it be salvaged? (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45685)

hortstu 07-31-2009 05:01 PM

Clip went through washing machine! Can it be salvaged?

My clip accidentally went through the washing machine. When I discovered it I put it in a bag of rice for a few days to get all the moisture out. It still doesn't work but when I plug it into the computer via usb it acts normally, says connected on the display, and I can see the music that was originally on the device when I explore the device, however I can't find any of the stuff I've put on there since I bought it.

Since it works with the computer power but not on its own I assume the problem is with the battery or something?

Has anyone ever encountered/ solved a problem similar to this?

I'm open to all suggestions. I assume the thing might be shot so I will try anything to get it to work before I replace it... I don't even know how to open it though.

hollie9 07-31-2009 05:22 PM

I'm no expert, being pretty new to the Clip myself, but thought I'd read a post here or at Amazon where someone put their Clip through the wash and it ended up being fine.

Have you tried charging it? What happens?

Have you tried format? That will remove all your files and leave the system files, I had to do this about 3 times on mine once.

It might need to be dried out more. And maybe you can find that other post here or on Google...Clip went through wash...or something like that.

Good luck,

Hollie

WalkGood 07-31-2009 07:13 PM

If you connected it too soon, the battery could be shot, when a portable electrical device like this gets wet the best thing is not to start it or charge it for a week or two. Iíve left a cell phone in the car drying out (cause of the heat) and had everything function fine after the second week. BTW, if the battery is shot itís not worth trying to change it out as you might not be able to buy a new battery and the price of refurbish clip is cheaper.

Mikerman 07-31-2009 10:14 PM

It also likely could be that a wire from the battery in the Clip became undone, by the washing machine tumbling.

WalkGood 08-01-2009 04:45 AM

Donít throw it away if you canít get it running, you could always keep to mod another clip you might get like this :)

hortstu 08-01-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Have you tried charging it? What happens?
I let it sit in the rice for about 3-4 days before I plugged it in. When I charge it the display works. It says "connected." I can access the drive through the computer. It seems I lost everything I've added to the clip but the stock music might still be on there.

Quote:

Have you tried format?
I don't know how to format. I can't do anything while the clip is plugged in via the clip. Only via the computer.

Quote:

It might need to be dried out more.
I opened it up last night and noticed the battery is in some kind of plastic like bag. I assume that either kept it dry or water got in there and it needed to dry out more so I let it sit open overnight. I don't see any moisture inside the battery bag. I marred the edge opening it but that's the least of my concerns.

Quote:

If you connected it too soon, the battery could be shot, when a portable electrical device like this gets wet the best thing is not to start it or charge it for a week or two.
It seems absolutely dry inside but it may be shot because I can't get it to turn on without the computers power.

Quote:

It also likely could be that a wire from the battery in the Clip became undone, by the washing machine tumbling.
I saw three battery wires while I had it open and they were all still connected.

Quote:

<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->Donít throw it away if you canít get it running, you could always keep to mod another clip you might get like this :)
At the very least I have an over sized, over priced, 4 gig usb drive. I'd prefer an mp3 player though. I guess all I can do is wait and see now?

Mikerman 08-01-2009 12:03 PM

Odd--it really sounded like a battery wire had become disconnected. I would leave it connected to your computer for a good, long while, and see if that fixes matters.

andyk 08-01-2009 08:47 PM

2 weeks ago, my Clip went through the washing machine. I immediately dried it with a towel and put it in a bowl of rice for the last 2 weeks.

Tonight I took it out of the bowl and selected 'On'. The Clip would not turn on.

I plugged the Clip into the computer...

...Blue flower!

OK, so now it is recognized by the computer, but the charging indication only went through 1 round of cycling (where the Sandisk name cycles then the "connected" screen shows) until I had a FULL battery indication. Hmmm...not normal. It should take about 3 Hours if it's a dead battery.

I unplugged it from the computer and the clip will not turn on.

I plugged the clip back into the computer and got the EXACT same indications as above. I waited this time for about 10 minutes with the unit showing "connected" and explored the drive through the computer...yep, all the music is there. The problem is really pointing to a battery.

After 10 minutes, I disconnected it again, still dead (will not turn on).

I plugged it back in one more time and NOW IT IS SHOWING IT IS CHARGING.

It has been charging for approximately 12 minutes as I registered for this forum and post this.

I will report back after it shows fully charged. I'm hoping that being fully discharged didn't take too much life off the lithium battery...we'll see.

Bottom line: play with it until you can get it to charge.

andyk 08-01-2009 10:10 PM

A success story.

Success! After about 1 1/2 hours of charging, I disconnected the Clip and it stayed on! I am now listening to the sweet sounds of Cat Steven's Tea for the Tillerman through a Penguin Caffeine Pro Amp into Grado RS-2's.

I am happy.

Gotta get that thing to charge!

Marvin the Martian 08-01-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk (Post 380112)
Success! After about 1 1/2 hours of charging, I disconnected the Clip and it stayed on! I am now listening to the sweet sounds of Cat Steven's Tea for the Tillerman through a Penguin Caffeine Pro Amp into Grado RS-2's.

I am happy.

Gotta get that thing to charge!

Congrats....both on your success, and having RS2's.....color me jealous.:)

hortstu 08-02-2009 10:22 PM

thanks andy. I will try that. The display goes through these fazes when plugged into the computer.

"SanDisk" logo
then the "connected" screen with the little icon of the mp3 player and the monitor. The battery charge thing in the top right corner is filling and emptying...

I assume it is charging. I will leave it connected over night.

Let everyone know the results tomorrow.

hortstu 08-03-2009 10:30 AM

ok so I got up this morning disconnected the clip and it worked! Lost all my music because I formatted it but I can live with that... the only problem was I plugged it back into the computer then disconnected it and now it doesn't work again. So the problem isn't the battery.

I'm trying to reconnect and disconnect but I'm not getting anything. I'm sure once I jump through the right hoops it will work again but until then...

andyk 08-03-2009 10:24 PM

Well, it seems I rushed to judgement

I believe we are experiencing the exact same symptoms now. My Clip will play after disconnecting from the computer. It will play a LONG time (hours), but if it shuts down or I shut it down for a time, it won't come back on. I plug it back into the computer and it immediately comes back on and shows "charging" for about 15 minutes, then it shows a full charge. I am able to disconnect then and play.

I suspect the battery has been irreversibly damaged, but it could possibly be a short in the system that drains the battery. However after 1 hour of playing music, the battery indicator is still showing only about "1 bar" of depletion.

I wonder if anyone has sourced a replacement battery yet.

EDIT: After doing some searching, it seems Hortstu and I aren't the first to have gone through the washing machine and be experiencing the EXACT same symptoms (powers when connected to USB, won't hold a charge afterward).

I think we are going to have to operate based on this thread: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=34604

I will be opening mine up tomorrow and have a peak at the battery wires.

-Andy

andyk 08-04-2009 03:19 AM

It's 3 am and I can't sleep (damn kids next door having bon-fires every night). I decided to open up the Clip and take a look around...

First, I was expecting a possible loose wire due to the battery moving around. I don't know if there were improvements to the battery installation along the way (doubtful), but my battery was mounted solid. Sansa used double-sided tape to hold the battery to the EMF shield. The battery leads were intact, not loose. I suspect because the of location of the leads at the outer edge of the Clip, some people who used a wedge around the circumference of the Clip to get it open damaged the wiring.

There is nothing visually wrong inside, no corrosion, no deposits, NOTHING...clean as a whistle.

I decided to throw a voltmeter across the battery and low and behold...only 1.09 volts. I plugged a charger into the mini-USB and the voltage shot up to 3.99 volts.

So, either the battery is shot, or there is a high resistance short that is draining the battery.

The battery has a VERY small circuit board encased in the battery's plastic wrapper. I don't know what that does. That is the first time I have seen a circuit board on an MP3 player's battery.

As posted in the previous thread, there is a link to someone who ordered a replacement battery due to the same symptoms we are having. I wonder if that replacement battery comes with the circuit board.

The real test will be de-soldering the battery after charging to see if it maintains the charge. If it doesn't, then I know it's a bad battery. If it does maintain a charge while not connected to the Clip, then there is something on the Clip discharging it (master the possibilities).

I still suspect the battery though.

EDIT: After some more searching, it seems that small circuit board on the battery itself is a safety circuit that could monitor things like charge current and temperature.

andyk 08-04-2009 06:35 PM

Update

Well I decided to fully charge the unit. After a full charge I had 4.01 volts without the Clip turned on.

I plugged in a set of Koss Portapro headphones into the Clip, set the Clip to repeat all songs and let it play continuously today. It lasted 10.5 hours checking the screen every half hour. It turned off automatically after 10.5 hours. After about 1/2 of letting it sit, I tried turning it back on and it did come on and play, but the battery indication was showing completely drained. I tried again another 1/2 hour later and it came back on.

It's playing MP3's in 256-320 kbps range (nothing below 256kbps). I really don't know how that compares to a new unit. It seems kind of low. I would have hoped for 12-13 hours.

Anyhow, the Clip is recharging now. I posted all of this so others may get some insight into their own problems after going through the wash. It seems the more I use it, the better it's getting...so that would be my advice: keep the thing playing for a long time. Maybe those electrons are cleaning house? :)

sansaguy 08-04-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk (Post 380936)
Well I decided to fully charge the unit. After a full charge I had 4.01 volts without the Clip turned on.

I plugged in a set of Koss Portapro headphones into the Clip, set the Clip to repeat all songs and let it play continuously today. It lasted 10.5 hours checking the screen every half hour. It turned off automatically after 10.5 hours. After about 1/2 of letting it sit, I tried turning it back on and it did come on and play, but the battery indication was showing completely drained. I tried again another 1/2 hour later and it came back on.

It's playing MP3's in 256-320 kbps range (nothing below 256kbps). I really don't know how that compares to a new unit. It seems kind of low. I would have hoped for 12-13 hours.

Anyhow, the Clip is recharging now. I posted all of this so others may get some insight into their own problems after going through the wash. It seems the more I use it, the better it's getting...so that would be my advice: keep the thing playing for a long time. Maybe those electrons are cleaning house? :)

I wouldn't be too disappointed about the battery life of your Clip. Remembering that the specs say that battery life max's out at 15 hours based on 128 kbps mp3 files and your using 256-320 kbps files?. Remembering too that you can always do things to boost battery life by dialing down settings like backlighting, brightness etc. And as you said earlier battery life will probably continue to improve the longer you play it, provided you keep it out of the wash! :D

Marvin the Martian 08-04-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaguy (Post 380949)
I wouldn't be too disappointed about the battery life of your Clip. Remembering that the specs say that battery life max's out at 15 hours based on 128 kbps mp3 files and your using 256-320 kbps files?. Remembering too that you can always do things to boost battery life by dialing down settings like backlighting, brightness etc. And as you said earlier battery life will probably continue to improve the longer you play it, provided you keep it out of the wash! :D

sansaguy is right, for those files, that battery level is decent. Another thing that eats battery life is the custom EQ...leave it on Normal, and adjust the backlight/brightness like he said, and you'll be fine.

hortstu 08-05-2009 09:46 AM

Thanks. for all the feedback andy. I seem to be in the same situation as you. I'm going to run the thing to empty a few times, fully charge it, and maybe that will condition the battery or something... first I have to fill it back up with music though.

dougak 08-12-2009 10:53 PM

Andy, its likely that LiIon battery is shot, with your 1.09v reading.

LiIons don't like to be discharged below about 3 or so volts. Most battery packs for laptops, cameras, etc have a built in circuit that monitors the voltage and cuts power to the device before reaching this limit. In cellphones with just a battery cell, or devices with integrated batteries this power cutoff function would be built into the mainboard, or firmware of the device.

Check out the protection circuits part of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

Likely the water and soap in your washer shorted out the battery and completely discharged it.

You'll probably need to either find a replacement cell or salvage a cell out of another clip, or contact sandisk and find out how much it will cost to send it in for a replacement cell to be put in.

telliott 02-24-2013 12:56 AM

I just grabbed my player from the wet pocket of my jeans after washing. Ugh. As expected, it won't turn on but at least the SD is fine. I have the older clip+ and will be using it for a while.

I don't have any rice but I've been trying to suck water out through the card slot. Not sure if I'll try to disassemble it, at least for a few weeks while I'm waiting to see if it will dry out.

Any other suggestions?