abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa e200 Rockbox (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Rockbox does USB on the e200! (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40508)

DerSarek 02-26-2009 01:18 AM

Rockbox does USB on the e200!
 
The brilliant folks at Rockbox have done it.
The e200 models have USB functionality with Rockbox.

Works brilliantly!

Thanks again!!!

DerSarek

Songokuu 02-26-2009 03:27 AM

Their greatest work is completed!
Bua ha ha, Bua ha ha,Bua ha ha (diabolic laugh :)

rtech 02-26-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerSarek (Post 332621)
The brilliant folks at Rockbox have done it.
The e200 models have USB functionality with Rockbox.

Time to update! Which version are you using?

ranger67 02-26-2009 06:01 PM

This does raise the question: as the storage is now accessible while rockbox is running, is it advisable to run rbutilqt and update rockbox while the rockbox firmware is running, or should we continue to boot into the OF for rockbox updates?

skip252 02-26-2009 07:28 PM

I didn't run rbutil to update to the USB enabled version. I'm pretty sure the bootloader isn't changed. All I did was download the test build and unzip it to the root of my e250. When I safely unplugged and rebooted I had USB support. The update to the current build was done thru that USB connection. AFAIK Rockbox isn't running while the player is connected to the computer. It's just a Rockbox enabled connection.

I'm sure there are other tweaks in there too. It may be placebo but it seems to boot faster, move thru the menus faster and have better battery life. I hadn't updated from 3.0 to 3.1 so the improvements may have all ready been in place in 3.1.

One precaution: If you have a high capacity card in the player when you connect Rockbox needs to be running. If not the player will attempt to boot to the OF and freeze.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llorean (Post 330986)
We're looking to have it enabled in official builds within a week. There's a few more tests we'd like to do before we enable it. We're hoping to have the kinks ironed out in time for the 3.2 release so that the stable version will have Rockbox USB support, in which case I'm hoping the bootloader behaviour will be changed so that it doesn't default to the OF when USB is detected.

When they add that I doubt I will ever use the OF again. I figured that having to click the card in and out to load it would sooner or later cause the mechanism to fail. With a 8gb card in place and USB support it should be a long time before I need to remove the card again.

saratoga 02-26-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger67 (Post 332801)
This does raise the question: as the storage is now accessible while rockbox is running, is it advisable to run rbutilqt and update rockbox while the rockbox firmware is running, or should we continue to boot into the OF for rockbox updates?

Either way is fine.

helpme123 02-26-2009 08:11 PM

this is awesome!

sansaguy 02-26-2009 09:33 PM

so Rockbox USB is great news!. But how long will it be before the bootloader is changed to take advantage of this?

kugel 02-26-2009 09:46 PM

The bootloader is changed. You just need to update. However, RbUtil and sansapatcher aren't updated to make use of the current bootloader.

skip252 02-26-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kugel (Post 332848)
The bootloader is changed. You just need to update. However, RbUtil and sansapatcher aren't updated to make use of the current bootloader.

If neither rbutil or sanspatcher are updated to work with the current boot loader how do you install it?

epithetless 02-26-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 332850)
If neither rbutil or sanspatcher are updated to work with the current boot loader how do you install it?

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing...

saratoga 02-26-2009 10:31 PM

You can use sansapatcher to install a bootloader from an external file. See the options list for it.

skip252 02-27-2009 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saratoga (Post 332858)
You can use sansapatcher to install a bootloader from an external file. See the options list for it.

Thanks for the information but since my next question is "Where the heck do I get the bootloader as an external file?", I think I'll leave things the way they are for now. No doubt the info is somewhere on the Rockbox site but I'm not feeling adventurous right now.
Remembering to have Rockbox running as I plug in is a no-brainer. I'll just wait until I have a little time to research and can learn how to do things right.

sansaguy 02-27-2009 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 332932)
Thanks for the information but since my next question is "Where the heck do I get the bootloader as an external file?", I think I'll leave things the way they are for now. No doubt the info is somewhere on the Rockbox site but I'm not feeling adventurous right now.
Remembering to have Rockbox running as I plug in is a no-brainer. I'll just wait until I have a little time to research and can learn how to do things right.

c'mon...install the bootloader...I dare ya...I DOUBLE DARE ya...lol. :)

skip252 02-27-2009 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaguy (Post 332938)
c'mon...install the bootloader...I dare ya...I DOUBLE DARE ya...lol. :)

No thanks :p I've done it wrong before and recovering is nerve racking and time consuming :eek:
You do it and post your steps.. TRIPLE dare ya. :D

sansaguy 02-27-2009 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 332939)
No thanks :p I've done it wrong before and recovering is nerve racking and time consuming :eek:
You do it and post your steps.. TRIPLE dare ya. :D

well I would but I can't find this bootloader 'external file'. I've just been to Rockbox and looked all over the site and can't seem to find any info on it...just the Sansapatcher.

Would be nice if someone who's in-the-know could provide a link to the file?.

skip252 02-27-2009 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaguy (Post 332941)
well I would but I can't find this bootloader 'external file'. I've just been to Rockbox and looked all over the site and can't seem to find any info on it...just the Sansapatcher.

Would be nice if someone who's in-the-know could provide a link to the file?.

As I said I'll just leave it until I have time to fully check it out. Just having a working USB stack is enough for now.

Besides 'Elephants Dream' is making Mpeg player say "Incompatible Format" in the current build on my e250. Don't have time this morning to check to see if its' a real bug. Will update and test again tomorrow.

epithetless 02-27-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaguy (Post 332941)
well I would but I can't find this bootloader 'external file'. I've just been to Rockbox and looked all over the site and can't seem to find any info on it...just the Sansapatcher.

Would be nice if someone who's in-the-know could provide a link to the file?.

Pssst: The new bootloaders being tested can be found here.

Kage 02-27-2009 03:15 PM

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I update to the new version? I have the e200R. I downloaded the bootloader on the page for it but I can't find any instructions on how to update to a new version.

sansaguy 02-27-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless (Post 333069)
Pssst: The new bootloaders being tested can be found here.

yer check is in the mail. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.