abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   TrekStor (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Problem: Computer does not recognize the Vibez (12GB, XP, MSC) (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37441)

Schiz 12-12-2008 10:13 AM

Problem: Computer does not recognize the Vibez (12GB, XP, MSC)

Hello everyone,

Recently my Vibez (12GB) decided he has to format itself and delete everything :(. Since then I cannot get it to work with my computer. It shows up in the device manager as "USB Mass Storage Device", but with a yellow mark indicating it is not working. It doesn't show up in My Computer (I'm using XP).

I emailed the company, and according to the reply I tried to 1) Update the Device Manager, which ends up giving me "Problem 10" or something, and doesn't work, and 2) Uninstall the Device Manager, no results either. The Firmware installer doesn't recognize the Vibez, so I can't install it. 3) It does not seem that the "Reset" button works, because a song I managed to copy to it at one exceptional occasion is still on it (the player itself works but only has one song now, not really useful). 4) I tried to connect the Vibez while pressing the "Menu" button as they suggested, exactly the same thing.:mad:

Do you have any suggestions, besides sending it back to the company (I still have warranty but I'll have to send it to another country)? Thanks in advance.

Schiz

P.s. during the next week I won't be able to reply, I apologize if I won't get to reply until next weekend.

rubennyc 12-12-2008 12:49 PM

1st question: Which version of the firmware do you have on there? And do you have it set (either in XP or on the vibez itself) to always connect as UMS instead of MTP?

As a last resort, you may want to consider re-running the "Restore Factory Defaults" option on the vibez itself. Assuming all the hardware bits inside are ok, this should get you to a known clean state.

Schiz 12-12-2008 01:22 PM

I'm not sure exactly how to have it set on MSC in XP, but until it happened it worked normally with MSC. I always made sure when I tried to solve the problem that the Vibez is set on MSC too, but it didn't seem to matter. I don't think it would have been recognized as a mass storage device if it wasn't set on MSC. The firmware is 1.14.

Another thing I just noticed is that the battery tends to run out for no reason, or atleast seems to. When I connect it to the USB cable instead of charging normally it shows the big battery image, which is (I think) when the battery is almost empty (and some hours before it said it has half a battery full).

As to the "Restore Factory Defaults" option, I assume you meant doing it through the device itself. If so, I couldn't find it, where is it located (through the menu I mean)? If you mean through the upgrade wizard, it doesn't recognize the vibez, so I can't choose that option.

rubennyc 12-12-2008 01:29 PM

Ok, 1.14 has a menu option on the device that lets you select the connection mode: Automatic, MTP, MSC or Charge Only. The default should be Automatic, meaning it will try to connect to WinXP in MTP mode. So, it's odd that it would show up as MSC in XP.

The Factory Defaults option is on the vibez itself under Menu > Features > Maintenance > Factory Defaults. This will completely reformat the vibez and reset all settings to the way they were when you first bought it.

If this works, you should be able to load it back up.

Hope this helps.

Schiz 12-12-2008 01:54 PM

Thanks for the reply; I did what you said, the restore worked, however the problem remains. When I try to install a device manager, I get something like this: "It's impossible to activate this device. Code 10".

Seems this is kinda bad...

rubennyc 12-12-2008 02:07 PM

By the way you described it, to me it sounds like the problem is probably with the vibez itself. To be sure, I think the next step is to see if you get the same problem with another computer. Do you have access to another Windows XP computer you can test it on?

Schiz 12-12-2008 02:14 PM

I tried it with similar results on a Vista laptop, tomorrow I'll have the chance to try it on another XP. Still I guess it must be the device. Thanks for the help.

rubennyc 12-12-2008 02:38 PM

One other remote possibility: Are you using the same USB cable on both the XP and Vista machines? Some USB cables have a very slightly shortened mini-USB connector. Meanwhile, the mini-USB port on the vibez is very slightly recessed.

Just for kicks, try a couple different USB cables to make sure you're getting a good connection.

Eredor 12-13-2008 08:32 AM

greetings, i am the guy who bought him this unit.
he gave me the device coz he's going to be away for a while, here's what i've been doing so far:
i am currently running on a linux machine which can recognize the player via ums/msc mode and i have even tried(successfully too if i might add) to add a few files, although it took it a long time to open up the player(about 3 minutes).
on my xp machine i get similar results as schiz's computer, i get a "local disk" with a red exlemation mark next to it and am unable to access it.
i tried to run fsck on it via linux and this is what i got:

eredor@eredor-laptop:/media/music$ sudo fsck /dev/sdd -a
[sudo] password for eredor:
fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
There is no backup boot sector.
Auto-creating backup boot block.
Created backup of boot sector in sector 6
Got 757760 bytes instead of 5851716 at 16384

rubennyc 12-14-2008 03:58 PM

Linux is not my strong suit. Might want to try posting this over at riovolution dot org .

The DarkSide 12-14-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eredor (Post 308211)
greetings, i am the guy who bought him this unit.
he gave me the device coz he's going to be away for a while, here's what i've been doing so far:
i am currently running on a linux machine which can recognize the player via ums/msc mode and i have even tried(successfully too if i might add) to add a few files, although it took it a long time to open up the player(about 3 minutes).
on my xp machine i get similar results as schiz's computer, i get a "local disk" with a red exlemation mark next to it and am unable to access it.
i tried to run fsck on it via linux and this is what i got:

eredor@eredor-laptop:/media/music$ sudo fsck /dev/sdd -a
[sudo] password for eredor:
fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
There is no backup boot sector.
Auto-creating backup boot block.
Created backup of boot sector in sector 6
Got 757760 bytes instead of 5851716 at 16384

Eredor=wise azz!!! OldAndDecrepit,..........

TDS01