abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toshiba Gigabeat (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Gotten my new T-802 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35398)

Beorn 10-12-2008 08:11 AM

Gotten my new T-802

Found this while I was on assignment in Japan. Gotten it with my Yodobashi discount card.. So far the music is much, much better then my old 1st gen Nano.

Need to change my headset and see what I can get out of this baby.

One of the things though that does suck a bit is the lack of accessories (I run a lot)... and the thing doesn't seem to do gapless playback?

8 Gig of storage space..

Found out something incidental as well, apparently the Sony walkmans in japan forces you to use Sonic Stage.. ?!! Which was the reason why I swapped to this baby then.. Since the Sonic Stage s/w doesn't install well with non-Japanese OSes.. Wonder if anyone can confirm that for sure though..

The DarkSide 10-12-2008 11:23 AM

Welcome to ABI>>>!!! The T-802 is supposed to have some of the best SQ on the market, in the US we'd hoped for an 8gb version. You got yourself a great player, enjoy!!!

Beorn 10-12-2008 01:10 PM

Thanks.. this is the place I've gotten my inspiration to consider only certain items because I was not please with the SQ from my Ipod nano...

I will hopefully post a review (try) soon with pictures.

You can get this baby from Japan without any worries.

I've a 32-bit Vista English and it syncs fine so far with my Winamp.

Only issue again, is gapless playback, which I'm not sure if the Gigabeat supports.. but clarity so far has been great.

Amplificator 10-26-2008 08:05 AM

Where can this be purchased online and shipped to Europe?

Beorn 10-27-2008 11:02 PM

I have no idea to be frank.. We tend to have something like parallel importers (or grey imports) that do resell them locally (for hard to get or items that are only on sale overseas).. Not sure if you have them in Europe or not.

The DarkSide 10-28-2008 01:08 AM

This version of the Toshiba Gigabeat (T802) is only available in Japan. 8gb, wireless, 16hrs music, 5hrs video. Shame really, would have been a hit in the US.

Beorn 10-29-2008 05:51 AM

Just going to do a quick preview of it..

Pro's:

1 - Right. Compared to my old nano, this one really has way better sound quality, though I find it a bit hard to discern with my house collections. But then I only have a rather cheap Sennheiser. The stock headphones seem to lack bass, accentuating the high/mids. Maybe I need better ears?

2 - The video display is small but I find the videos to be quite well rendered, especially the ones I took whilst diving. Not the main reason why I bought this thing though, to be frank.
Con's:

1 - Power management. You must make sure that you turn off the player once you're not listening to it. Display may turn off after a while, but the player chews through battery even in this mode.

2 - No gapless playback.. But I think there's no one does it better than the iPod. Really, I don't want to join my mp3 files just to have this feature and it is a bit jarring for some of my playlists (re: House etc..)

3 - Lack of accessories. Guess there isn't enough numbers?

The DarkSide 10-30-2008 02:11 AM

If it's gapless your looking for then the Zune is for you. ipod is no longer the only 1 (and don't forget a player running RockBox).

Beorn 11-03-2008 04:33 AM

Unfortunately, I can't spare the cash for another DAP.. I've been using an old first gen nano which didn't support gapless, so I guess I'll have to stick with this for a bit. One thing though is that I'm still undecided on what head-phones to get... Any personal recommendations?

The DarkSide 11-03-2008 05:16 AM

Not to brush you off, but here's a link to the headphone section of ABI. You'll find some pretty helpful suggestions there: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...splay.php?f=22

My suggestion is for the V-Moda Bass Freq's. A little under $30.00 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Bass-Fr...5710956&sr=8-1

Beorn 11-03-2008 07:01 AM

No worries.. Been looking around, but I keep changing my mind when I see a new review or something. Hoping for some personal prefs as you have posted. Thanks!

Beorn 11-09-2008 08:06 PM

ARGH!

... I can't believe that I've left my gigabeat on the plane and now it's gone.. Barely just a month after I've gotten it.. :( Was thinking of getting the ATH-E7 after listening/testing on it in the airport.. Sigh. What a blow..

The DarkSide 11-09-2008 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beorn (Post 298649)
... I can't believe that I've left my gigabeat on the plane and now it's gone.. Barely just a month after I've gotten it.. :( Was thinking of getting the ATH-E7 after listening/testing on it in the airport.. Sigh. What a blow..

Wow, sorry for your loss!!!! That, my friend, I really mean. Did you contact the "lost and found" at the airport, preferably the airline company itself? Not all are thieves, regardless of what we read in the paper. Please, keep us posted, and good luck.

Beorn 11-10-2008 12:09 AM

Yeah, I did all of that. Am a frequent traveller because of work.. Was totally zonked out I guess from the flights so I was really careless. Made reports etc.. but to no avail. Problem with the last segment of that flight is that it's a turnaround. So the ground staff don't always check everything properly before it's off and flying again. Anyone could have just taken it. Quirks aside though, it's a nice DAP. I can't help but notice your sig that states D2 gapless warriors? Cowon D2 I presume?

The DarkSide 11-10-2008 01:03 AM

Yes my friend, a D2. If you decide to get 1 as a replacement you won't be disappointed!!!:p As for the "Gapless" part, well, that's there as a wish, if anything.

lewislink 03-15-2009 12:52 AM

The Rockbox for the D2 is almost complete, according to this chart from here: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/TargetStatus

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...link2/D2RB.jpg

Amplificator 04-20-2009 11:22 AM

Have anyone found a website that ships to Europe?

EnzoTen 04-20-2009 12:08 PM

The Toshiba T Series is easily the best sounding player i have ever listened to. Like the Sansa Clip but with a touch more warmth. D2 doesn't compare.

Amplificator 04-20-2009 12:13 PM

That is what I have read.

I bought the Cowon S9 16GB the day it was available from advancedmp3players.co.uk and it sounds great.
The only thing I don't like is the not-so-great interface. It's just not.. intuitive.
I had an iriver Clix before and really loved that one.

I've been wanting to try the T802 for quite some time now and I believe I have found a Japanese webshop that ships worldwide.
My main concern about the T series is the equalizer. Presets only?

If that player is not what I had expected I can always get a new Clix2 at least.. Best interface I have ever used for an mp3 player but probably not as good sound quality as Cowon and the T802.

Amplificator 05-01-2009 03:46 PM

Can anyone comment on the equalizer in this phone? How does its stock sound compare to a stock Cowon S9?