abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa Fuze (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   Bleh!! My Fuze Is Defective..... (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30922)

Lacene 06-13-2008 11:20 AM

Bleh!! My Fuze Is Defective.....

Well, rats. I'm sending my 8GB Fuze I just got back to Amazon as defective. It just happened.......I was listening to it plugged into my PC speakers in the office - as I have done for most of the past 2 weeks I've had it - and all of a sudden it stopped playing.

I had it in the felt slip case that comes with the player, so I couldn't see any unusual eror msg's on the screen....I just noticed that it stopped playing. Removing it from the case, it was powered off. I attempted to switch it back on several times, but got no response whatsoever: no blinking lights, no "battery needs charging" message on the screen....nothing.

Still, I naturally assumed that the battery had drained, but this concerned me. I had fully charged the battery here at my office just yesterday afternoon, and had only listened to the Fuze in my car on the way home for about 1 hour, then listened to it again here this morning for about 2 hours. I had been experiencing good battery life with it during the past 2 weeks, so I wondered why the battery would drain so quickly with so little playing time.

But I had the USB cable in my car, and plugging the Fuze up, I still got no response from it at all: no blinking or flickering of the lights, nothing. The Fuze is simply dead in the water. It's been cared for perfectly in the time I've had it, so there can't be any component damage from abuse. It was just sitting on my desk in the slip case, playing away, then it died......

I'm placing an order for a replacement from Amazon, as I actually was enjoying the Fuze right up to the point I couldn't any longer. This was the first real issue I have had with all the DAP's I've gotten since my 1st one, which was a piece of crap anyways. I guess I was due.....

Hopefully my replacement Fuze will be a good one, as I'm expecting to get a long return on my investment....I still have a 8GB microSD card that I was planning to use with the Fuze, but has yet not had any content loaded onto it.....:(

Thibault 06-13-2008 04:33 PM

That happened to mine as well. Not sure what caused it, but I waited awhile and tried turning it on and it finally worked again.
I think mine screwed up while refreshing the media library and maybe it went through the process and nothing else responded. Either way, mine started working after awhile.
So you might want to try yours again later, hold on the power button for a few seconds and hopefully it works. Maybe you won't be as lucky as me though and you might just have a defective product. Not much to do then, sorry.

Javier78 06-13-2008 05:21 PM

Have you tried holding the power switch(about 10-15 seconds)? That happened to me once, and I had to perform a hard-shutdown. try it. If it doesn't work, then it's defective.

Lacene 06-13-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thibault (Post 257329)
That happened to mine as well. Not sure what caused it, but I waited awhile and tried turning it on and it finally worked again.
I think mine screwed up while refreshing the media library and maybe it went through the process and nothing else responded. Either way, mine started working after awhile.
So you might want to try yours again later, hold on the power button for a few seconds and hopefully it works. Maybe you won't be as lucky as me though and you might just have a defective product. Not much to do then, sorry.

Yeh, I've been alternating between trying to power it back on, and plugging it in with the USB cable, which automatically turns it on, all day long, to no avail. As of late......

Lacene 06-13-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier78 (Post 257335)
Have you tried holding the power switch(about 10-15 seconds)? That happened to me once, and I had to perform a hard-shutdown. try it. If it doesn't work, then it's defective.

Yep, tried that once earlier, for about 10-15 sec's, then just tried it again up to 30 seconds (!!) after reading your post. Nothing..... :mad:

Either way, I've got up to 30 days to get it in the mail back to Amazon.....I'll probably keep it through the weekend, and periodically try getting it to turn on, and then send it off first thing Monday. If it's still dead then, I'm giving up on it.....

The only other thing I've seen that's similar to this in the past is, with some DAP's that can either be charged via an AC wall charger and/or a USB cable, if the DAP gets totally drained dry of battery power before it's recharged, sometimes it was hard to recharge it using just the USB cable connected to a PC, because the USB port provides a small current. But if the DAP was then connected to the AC wall charger, it gets a boosted charge, and then it recharges.

There's several reasons why I doubt this will be the case with the Fuze, though: One, you would think Sandisk would ship the Fuze with a Wall-Wart if this could happen. Second, there's still that issue about me fully charging the Fuze yesterday.....even my e200 Sansas would still have a lot of charge left, and they are not rated with as long a battery life as the Fuze is.

I think the Fuze is just dead......I hope this will be an isolated case, because I did like the player enough to try again......

Shalrath 10-29-2008 10:26 PM

My 2GB Fuze recently stopped working as well. I think I left it playing until the battery died. Attempting to recharge it did nothing.

However... Just a few minutes ago, I tried the simple combination of holding the power button while plugging it in. Bingo! It started recharging immediately.

Hope that helps

webbit 06-19-2009 10:16 PM

re: Bleh!! My Fuze Is Defective ...

I know this is an old thread now, but I just (19 June 2009) had exactly the same problem and symptoms. I tried all of the standard methods and fixes, and got nowhere. My Fuze was DEAD! I was just about to give up and call Sandisk, then read this thread. I tried Shalrath's remedy (hold up the power button while plugging it into the computer), and ... IT WORKED! First try!

Damn!

This isn't likely on Sandisk's list of approved fixes. The fact that it worked is awesome. But what the &*$% caused it to die in the first place? The battery was good (almost fully charged) and it was playing fine. I was scrolling something while it was playing, stopped for a bit, and when the backlight went out (as it's should, after 10 seconds or so, to save battery), the Fuze died at exactly the same instant.

And thus the saga began. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there an identified cause?

webbit

sovesky 06-20-2009 04:28 PM

Strange... I've got my fuze for 6 months, and it never happened.

sansaguy 06-20-2009 05:22 PM

have mine almost 2 years now and its never happened. Strange.

Cereal_Killer 06-21-2009 07:21 AM

This is exactly what happened to me recently too. Just waiting on Sansa to return my email for warranty work. Maybe this is something they need to look in to a little bit more?

Lund^ 07-19-2009 10:24 AM

Yesterday i had this problem too.

I have a 2+8 GB v1 Fuze, it had worked perfekt for a few months, then suddently i was listening to music and adjusting EQ i just died. Couldnt turn it on for 5 mins, i tried to hold the on off button for 10 sec. and removing the SD card, and it turned on again, and has worked fine since...

it seemes there is a general problem with the Fuze.

aidensumbrella 08-06-2009 01:50 AM

This happened to me today ! and i just waited for about 4 hours and it turned back on although the battery had drained in that time which would make it look like the fuze was still on even though the screen was off !

dgb52 08-06-2009 12:26 PM

same thing has happened to my e260 v1 , it died and would not come back on, but the next day it started up fine , there was a combination of keys you could hold on the e200's to do a reset , not sure if you can do the same on the Fuze

Short_Fuze 08-06-2009 08:00 PM

this thread proves one thing once again: technology isn't perfect ALL the time

imagine that...

this has never happened to any of my players

Roby718 11-06-2009 04:50 PM

Heres what happened

One time I was jacking my laptop in to a sound system throught the headphone jack on the front panel, then the minute the jack was inserted , i herd a click, and the laptop just shut down, what happened was the large scale equivalent of your sansa incident, the sound system overloaded my laptop (the jack had a high charge, but when i started the laptop with the plug in it it started and did not shut down, the cord must have had a staic charge...) in the case of your sansa open it and the where the battery hits the PCB, or where the jack hits the PCB, is there any damage, if not it may have occured elsewhere on the PCB or caused internal damae to the battery or other important components. :D

dr_howardfine 11-11-2009 12:29 PM

I witnessed the same bizarre behavior with my new (refurb) fuze.

I got a 4GB from woot! a few weeks ago. When it arrived, it was working fine. I upgraded the firmware, and installed rockbox, and it continued to work fine for a few days.

Suddenly, after it had been charging (?) overnight, it would not turn on. There was no sign of life, whether plugged into the PC, an AC adapter, or nothing at all - it just seemed totally DEAD!!

I tried holding the power button for 30 sec - but nothing.

I emailed and received an RMA from woot, but in the meantime, decided to open it up to see if the battery was somehow disconnected. Everything looked OK, so I re-assembled without changing anything, except unplugging and replugging the battery. Still DEAD :-(

A couple days go by, and I decide it's time to pack it up and send it back, but - lo and behold! it powers up fine and works like a champ! And has ever since.

I'm wondering if the other users who've experienced this also installed rockbox. RB on the fuze is listed as "unstable" - though my experience with it (when the fuze was working at all) was very favorable.

Any chance that the rockbox bootloader has a quirk that causes it to occassionally hang up with a black screen?

Has anybody who has seen this behavior seen it on a non-rockboxed fuze?

For now - I'm keeping the fuze - and hoping this problem doesn't return.

oobergeek 11-11-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_howardfine (Post 413972)
I witnessed the same bizarre behavior with my new (refurb) fuze.

I got a 4GB from woot! a few weeks ago. When it arrived, it was working fine. I upgraded the firmware, and installed rockbox, and it continued to work fine for a few days.

Suddenly, after it had been charging (?) overnight, it would not turn on. There was no sign of life, whether plugged into the PC, an AC adapter, or nothing at all - it just seemed totally DEAD!!

I tried holding the power button for 30 sec - but nothing.

I emailed and received an RMA from woot, but in the meantime, decided to open it up to see if the battery was somehow disconnected. Everything looked OK, so I re-assembled without changing anything, except unplugging and replugging the battery. Still DEAD :-(

A couple days go by, and I decide it's time to pack it up and send it back, but - lo and behold! it powers up fine and works like a champ! And has ever since.

I'm wondering if the other users who've experienced this also installed rockbox. RB on the fuze is listed as "unstable" - though my experience with it (when the fuze was working at all) was very favorable.

Any chance that the rockbox bootloader has a quirk that causes it to occassionally hang up with a black screen?

Has anybody who has seen this behavior seen it on a non-rockboxed fuze?

For now - I'm keeping the fuze - and hoping this problem doesn't return.

hey dr.! :-) I'll chip in my 2 cents here. I have a v1 Fuze (bought new) for 2 years now and have had Rockbox on it for about 5 months and have had zero problems with it. Might just be the fact that your player was a refurb?. I don't have RB installed on it ATM though because I recently upgraded to the .28 OF and am waiting for some RB guru to do an updated bootloader that works with the new OF. My gut feeling is your problem is/was battery related. No hard evidence to back up my claim, just saying that alot of erratic behavior on these players stems from battery glitches. Glad to see your back up and running.

HankB 11-14-2009 05:42 AM

I have Rockbox on a refurb with no problems.

One thing that comes to mind is the possibility that it gets hung so badly that even the power button (for 30 seconds) doesn't work. In that case, plugging the USB cable in frequently may recharge it enough to keep it running (and locked up.) Perhaps the key is to leave it alone long enough for it to completely drain. Then plugging it in brings it back to life. That seems to be the pattern that several have seen.

andrewpiner 12-15-2009 12:12 PM

My woot fuze

Hey All,

I also got a 4gb fuze from woot that was refurbished. At around day 28 mine went into paperweight mode and I couldn't do anything to shake it out. So I wrote cust serv and got a ticket to return it and left it charging at work over the weekend. Well, that Monday when I came in it powered up just fine and was running great until just yesterday. I plugged it into my pc via usb and it just went back into paperweight mode.

So this morning I tried the trick posted above of the 30 second power on and it woke up and showed me that it's battery was completely discharged.

So this leads me to suspect that there is something flaky in the connector slot on the bottom of the fuze. My player was over 80% charged when I plugged it in so there is nothing short of a short(pun intended) that could drain the battery like that. So my best guess for what is happening is that the guys who designed the custom cable probably put a power line next to a ground line and have too much horizontal slip in the connector cable. So if you misalign the cable then you short the power of the fuze with the ground return on the cable and voila...paperweight. If you suck enough power out of it, then it wouldn't have the ability right away to do anything at all.

This would also explain why with our refurbs we have the problem...if we were marginal to begin with and someone got this problem and returned it, the tech who plugged it in sees that it works and lists it as okay to re-sell and we get stuck with the problem once again. Normally everything is perfect, but if the cable gets connected a little wrong...whammo we have a paperweight.

It is definitely not rockbox dependent...because I'm not using rockbox

HankB 12-15-2009 12:44 PM

I think there's something flaky WRT charging. I had mine plugged in overnight (to a PC) and in the morning, I logged in, unmounted it and found it with a white screen. I had to hold the power switch off for a while before it turned off. I think I have also seen it turn off by itself if I unmounted it but left it plugged in. I don't think it can charge while it is off because the processor needs to manage the charge.

This is using the OF of course. I normally run Rockbox but that boots the OF when it detects a USB connection. The host OSA is Linux (Ubuntu Karmic) if that matters.