abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Microsoft Zune (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Button Combinations for things like formatting your Zune (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30624)

The DarkSide 06-06-2008 08:45 AM

Button Combinations for things like formatting your Zune

Zune 4/8/16/80/120

Press and hold the Back button and Down direction to turn Zune completely off.
Reboot, and while Zune is restarting, use the button combo's below.
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/830...ombos48xn2.png
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3...ombos48hi5.png
This is the NEW BUTTON COMBO for deleting all contents and firmware on a Zune 4/8/16/80/120.

Credits go to Zuneboards.com for images

These instructions have been updated to correct a few errors, hope all works well.
T.DS

For Zune HD Button Combos look here

Lawrence 06-06-2008 07:49 PM

Don't forget for the Zune 80, its you replace center with play to do the functions that include center.

li'l bit 06-14-2008 11:22 PM

Just wanted to say thank you much for posting this. have had the 8gb for awhile & didn't even know I could put it in a deep sleep. i just got the 80 & obviously that's going to help with battery life

lceriyirri 06-19-2008 01:47 AM

hopefully, i can remember them... it's back+down, not back+up

so if I press backup, would it erase the files inside? or would it just restart the zune80?

The DarkSide 06-19-2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lceriyirri (Post 258743)
hopefully, i can remember them... it's back+down, not back+up

so if I press backup, would it erase the files inside? or would it just restart the zune80?

Only restarts the Zune.

karaokegoalie 07-25-2008 06:43 PM

I can't seem to get the "delete everything" functions to work on the Zune 30. Anyone else?

Royel91 07-25-2008 07:46 PM

You have to press up+back at the same time to restart it first, and then when it is at the loading screen, then press the button combo you want.

karaokegoalie 07-26-2008 03:07 AM

Much obliged.

The DarkSide 11-03-2008 12:59 AM

Images have been edited, and incorrect instructions removed. I tested the button combo's on my Zune 120, so I know these combo's are correct..

jjrosaria 11-03-2008 02:02 AM

wat will happend if u delete the firmware?

The DarkSide 11-03-2008 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjrosaria (Post 297136)
wat will happend if u delete the firmware?

You need to connect the Zune to your computer, start the Zune software, and reload the firmware for the player on the device. Takes all of a few minutes. Reloading all my podcasts & videos, THAT takes awhile!!!

Machiventa 11-08-2008 03:51 PM

Note that you have to reboot first before using the button combos. So... Back+Up will initiate a reboot. Then as the Zune logo comes up use desired button combos.

NauticusLX 03-12-2009 02:11 AM

I couldn't turn off my Zune 8gig with the key combination. Doesn't holding down the pause button turn it off?

Royel91 03-12-2009 03:02 PM

By holding down the pause button, you're putting it in "sleep mode". It is still using up battery (although not as much).

Turning it off will completely stop it from using up the battery. (You can tell it was turned off by seeing the boot screen.)

EDIT: Back Arrow (<-) and then pressing 'down' on d-pad should be correct for turning it off. Works for both my Zune 30 and 80. Don't know about Zune 8, but I assume it should be the same.

Ricardo Dawkins 03-12-2009 10:51 PM

it is the same combo for all zune devices.

NauticusLX 03-13-2009 03:02 PM

I haven't seen the boot-up screen since I first plugged it in, which suggests it's never really been turned off. None of the suggestions have worked to turned of my 8gig zune.

But I did notice that when the display is off but the device is playing, you can see a ghost image of the display if you hold it to the light very carefully. When I press pause, then press and hold it down, the music stops and there's no ghost image (let's call this State 1). Does this mean it's off? From this state, if I click the pause button it immediately displays the main menu. Does State 1 = turned off?

In order to maximize the battery life, and therefore user enjoyment, doesn't it behoove Microsoft to tell users how to turn off their Zunes? This seems like a no brainer. I have another device (the Logitech SqueezeBox internet radio device) that never turns off, by design, but it works of AC power only so battery life isn't an issue. But where battery life is an issue, as with the Zune, one has to know how to turn the thing off, right? Or am I missing something?

Ricardo Dawkins 03-14-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

But I did notice that when the display is off but the device is playing, you can see a ghost image of the display if you hold it to the light very carefully.
all zune devices does this. backlight is off but LCD is still on.

Quote:

When I press pause, then press and hold it down, the music stops and there's no ghost image (let's call this State 1). Does this mean it's off?
stage: standby

BTW, Royek91 told you the actual combo for turning it off. you must press and hold this buttons until the device turn off.

jkj1962 03-14-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NauticusLX (Post 337540)
But where battery life is an issue, as with the Zune, one has to know how to turn the thing off, right? Or am I missing something?

I have noticed with my Zune 120 that if I don't use it for a couple of days, it turns off completely, or at least as completely as it can I suppose. When I slide the lock switch, it does not "wake up", and I must press and hold a button for it come on, starting with the boot-up screen. I believe my Zune 16 does this as well. I don't know how many hours it takes for it to go from standby to "off", but it seems to be 24 or more.

Ricardo Dawkins 03-14-2009 02:02 PM

^^ yeaj, it turns off after 24 hours in standby.

NauticusLX 03-16-2009 02:41 AM

The question remains, how do I know it's turned off? the button combinations don't work.

BTW, do these web pages load slowly for you? The icons on the "reply to thread" page load about 1 per sec, which is, like, dial up speed.