abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Samsung P2 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Playlists for UMS P2 without SMS (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27591)

sassafras 03-19-2008 12:14 AM

Playlists for UMS P2 without SMS
 
1 Attachment(s)
I finally got tired of not having playlists for my P2 with UMS. I think the .spl playlist format is ludicrous. So I did some digging through the forums and found this program created by forum member m1lk. Kind of him to create this program.

The long and short of it is, that you're just going to make an .m3u playlist the way you would have before for any other device.

1) If you make your .m3u playlists by hand, go ahead and just make a list of files that you want in your playlist, and make it relative to your device. So you'd make it look like this: /MUSIC/where/you/songs/are/song.mp3 relative to your device.

2) Alternatively, you can also use winamp or mediamonkey to make your playlist using their built in playlist creators.

3) Open this handy little program and select the playlist file. Click convert and it will output a new file of format .spl You can then just put that .spl in the playlist folder on your device and if you like, you can delete the original .m3u file.

Hope this helps you all as it did me.... And thanks again m1lk :)

juzz 03-20-2008 09:57 PM

This is a GREAT tutorial for ppl who wants playlists easy!
Thanks alot for this!

mrmac 03-24-2008 05:13 PM

Hey thanks for the tip! However, it's not working for me.
Ive created a playlist using Mediamonkey, used this m3u file, converted using your converter.. however my P2 says it doesnt not recognize the file format (in file browser, when in playlist it doesnt even show this file)..

sassafras 03-25-2008 01:30 AM

Make sure the .spl is actually in your playlist folder.

Also, it has to be UTF encoded. Try renaming the file to .m3u8 then running it through the converter again. That sometimes works.

mrmac 03-26-2008 07:13 PM

How do you mean utf encoded? Still doesn't work though. It's in the playlist folder, tried both m3u and m3u8, the extension from the converted file is .spl.

Weird. Think it has something to do with my P2 being MTP?

Just to check if I'm doing it right:
- In Mediamonkey I acces my P2, select the mp3's for the playlist. The playlist is saved on my HDD, then converted to spl and then transferred to my p2 (using windows explorer).

What's the problem you reckon?

sassafras 03-27-2008 10:12 AM

Wait, your P2 is MTP? Hahaah.... Of course it doesn't work. :) Read the title of this thread, this is a workaround for using playlists in UMS mode. MTP natively supports playlists, just use Media Monkey to transfer the playlist directly to the device, it will work. I promise.

miste jaszczuk 04-18-2008 09:37 AM

Doesn't work for me :( Just made my m3u playlist file and converted it to pls. After I put it in playlist folder, player shows "No file" under the chosen playlist. Are there any playlist capacity limitations I'm not aware of? My pls file consists of more than 200 files.

It's kinda frustrating to be forced to make these fvcking playlists. My ol' good D2 just skipped to the next folder after finishing the last song. Apparently this is not the case with P2...

LoonyTunes 04-18-2008 11:58 AM

If you just want to play all the songs on the P2 then, from the top of the menu, select Music then Songs then play the first one. It will play every song on the device. Optionally you can turn on shuffle. That's how I use mine. I gave up on playlists. Seems like there is a limit of 400 songs you can put in a list.

xxgg 04-20-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miste jaszczuk (Post 238892)
Doesn't work for me :( Just made my m3u playlist file and converted it to pls. After I put it in playlist folder, player shows "No file" under the chosen playlist. Are there any playlist capacity limitations I'm not aware of? My pls file consists of more than 200 files.

i get the same result. "no file"

i've used winamp to open the music directory in P2 and made the list.

kameko 04-21-2008 05:01 PM

maybe i'm a bit confused but...is this correct?

using mediamonkey or whatever player, i go through the music already on the p2, and create a regular m3u playlist and then just convert it via the program in the first post (and place that in the p2s playlist folder) ?

is there a way to first create a playlist from mp3s on your computer, and then transfer that playlist (and mp3s of course) to the player directly?

geoken 04-21-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kameko (Post 239918)
maybe i'm a bit confused but...is this correct?

using mediamonkey or whatever player, i go through the music already on the p2, and create a regular m3u playlist and then just convert it via the program in the first post (and place that in the p2s playlist folder) ?

is there a way to first create a playlist from mp3s on your computer, and then transfer that playlist (and mp3s of course) to the player directly?

No you're doing it wrong. If you create an m3u of the files already on your player that m3u will include all the absolute paths to those files, but the p2 doesn't know what to do woth these absolute paths. The p2 needs the paths to be relative to it's own root.

You can make the m3u locally. You just need to make sure the folder names match up.

geoken 04-21-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miste jaszczuk (Post 238892)
Doesn't work for me :( Just made my m3u playlist file and converted it to pls. After I put it in playlist folder, player shows "No file" under the chosen playlist. Are there any playlist capacity limitations I'm not aware of? My pls file consists of more than 200 files.

1) Was it a typo when you wrote pls? Where you trying to write spl or did you actually convert the file to a pls

2) can you try with a simple 5 item file first? When troubleshooting a problem it's usually helpful to isolate potential issues wherever possible so they can be ruled out.

Anselh 04-21-2008 08:20 PM

Playlist for UMS
 
Umm i have no idea how to make playlist on ums WMP dont seem to work
and ive read this thread from sassfras http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=27591
how ever i still dont know how to figure it out >.>

sassafras 04-22-2008 05:54 PM

The method I used was to just make a playlist using Winamp so the paths would be relative to the player, then I used the utility to convert it to an .spl file and I put it in the playlist folder. It's a little extra work, but the advantages of having UMS far outweigh the once or twice a week I make a new playlist and the extra thirty seconds of work that incurs. If it's not working for you, make sure that your .m3u file is relative paths to the files on the P2, not absolute to your computer. AKA, don't have them say C:/ instead they should look like music/etc/etc Do you understand?

Anselh 04-22-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassafras (Post 240281)
The method I used was to just make a playlist using Winamp so the paths would be relative to the player, then I used the utility to convert it to an .spl file and I put it in the playlist folder. It's a little extra work, but the advantages of having UMS far outweigh the once or twice a week I make a new playlist and the extra thirty seconds of work that incurs. If it's not working for you, make sure that your .m3u file is relative paths to the files on the P2, not absolute to your computer. AKA, don't have them say C:/ instead they should look like music/etc/etc Do you understand?

i'll try ^^ thanks

miste jaszczuk 04-25-2008 08:15 PM

Thanks a lot Sassafras, it worked perfectly for me!!!

kameko 04-26-2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoken (Post 239961)
No you're doing it wrong. If you create an m3u of the files already on your player that m3u will include all the absolute paths to those files, but the p2 doesn't know what to do woth these absolute paths. The p2 needs the paths to be relative to it's own root.

You can make the m3u locally. You just need to make sure the folder names match up.

thanks. yah i had to remove the main drive name from each entry in the playlist file manually. not too bad but still annoying.

miste jaszczuk 04-26-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kameko (Post 241570)
thanks. yah i had to remove the main drive name from each entry in the playlist file manually. not too bad but still annoying.

There is a very handy way to do it in editor. You just have to open the file, copy the phrase "F:\" or any place your P2 drive is under, choose Edit>replace, paste your chosen phrase, "replace all" and finally save it. I'm not pretty sure how do commands in your editor look like, having myself german version, but I presume the terms I used are pretty much the same.

kameko 04-26-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miste jaszczuk (Post 241606)
There is a very handy way to do it in editor. You just have to open the file, copy the phrase "F:\" or any place your P2 drive is under, choose Edit>replace, paste your chosen phrase, "replace all" and finally save it. I'm not pretty sure how do commands in your editor look like, having myself german version, but I presume the terms I used are pretty much the same.

yes i know how to do that. but still, its an extra tedious step that shouldn't even have to be done.

Noobtaculus 05-15-2008 09:00 PM

If you have a UMS P2, SMS will let you make Playlists easier thanks to that button up to the left of the (Music)|(Video)|(Picture)|(ETC) buttons.
There is also a way to manually create/edit playlists without the Samsung Media Studio. In Notepad, type the following:
Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> SPL PLAYLIST
VERSION 1.00

\Music\A Lack Of Color.mp3
\Music\An Honest Mistake.mp3
\Music\Swing Swing.mp3
\Music\California.mp3
\Music\California01.mp3
\Music\Cartwheels.mp3
\Music\Caught By The River.mp3
\Music\Dice.mp3
\Music\Did You Ever Get A Feeling Of Dread.mp3
\Music\Everything Will Be Alright.mp3
\Music\Fix You (Album Version).mp3
\Music\Hands Up.mp3
\Music\Hardcore Days And Softcore Nights.mp3
\Music\Hide and Seek.mp3
\Music\Honey and the Moon.mp3
\Music\If You Leave.mp3
\Music\I'm A Player.mp3
\Music\I'm A Terrible Person.mp3
\Music\I'm Shakin.mp3
\Music\Little House Of Savages.mp3
\Music\Last Christmas.mp3
\Music\On The Table.mp3
\Music\Paint The Silence.mp3
\Music\Ratso Rizzo.mp3
\Music\Technologic.mp3
\Music\Smile Like You Mean It.mp3
\Music\Something Pretty.mp3
\Music\So Sweet.mp3
\Music\Walnut Tree.mp3
\Music\We Used To Be Friends.mp3
\Music\Weve Had Enough.mp3
\Music\You Got Me All Wrong.mp3
\Music\Youre So Damn Hot.mp3

END PLAYLIST </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Change the file names (haha this is my shortened OC playlist http://www.yjzone.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif) to the file names of the songs you want to put into this playlist. You can add/remove lines if necessary. When you’re done, save the file as a *.spl file under P2 Root:/Playlists/.
The name of the spl file determines the playlist’s name.
Ex: ThisIsT3hPlaylist’sName.spl will show up in your P2 under Playlists as “ThisIsT3hPlaylist’sName”.
If you’re having trouble with saving the file as an spl, make sure that the “Save as type” (in the Notepad save dialog box) is set to “All files” and you have to type in the “.spl” extension manually.
If you do have the UMS file system on your P2, you can edit (change order, add/remove etc.) the playlists created with this method in SMS as well.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.