abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   ibiza Rhapsody (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   ibiza Rhapsody vs Competitors (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22469)

EnzoTen 11-22-2007 02:51 PM

ibiza Rhapsody vs Competitors

The ibiza has a very unique feature set and i think the closest competitor it has is the Zune that matches podcast downloads and other wireless features.

Here is the match up for the hard drive ibiza

ibiza Rhapsody vs Zune 30 & Zune 80

Here is the flash match up with the Zune 8/4 but i also added the Sansa Connect since it does have the ability to direct download.

ibiza Rhapsody vs Zune 4/8 vs SanDisk Sansa Connect

DJ Shred 11-22-2007 06:45 PM

The Ibiza looks like a great player spec-wise, its just the price thats killin' me.

iamtheworld 11-22-2007 07:37 PM

yeah i agree. the price is more than a bit much for me.
i think they also should make the 4 and 8gb versions smaller.... ive never such a big flash player.

Andreas 11-23-2007 01:49 AM

Closest competitors are the PSP and ipod touch...

EnzoTen 11-23-2007 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamtheworld (Post 186042)
yeah i agree. the price is more than a bit much for me.
i think they also should make the 4 and 8gb versions smaller.... ive never such a big flash player.

or put larger batteries in the flash players at lease.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptnodegard (Post 186118)
Closest competitors are the PSP and ipod touch...

Neither of these have unlimited subscription downloads, built in at that. This is really what the ibiza is all about. So i cannot see either of these being competitors.

John566 11-29-2007 01:33 PM

Without Rhapsody support this wouldn't be very compelling to me. With it I think it will be awesome. I will have one tomorrow so I'll soon know if it lives up to it's potential.

PromisedPlanet 02-07-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnzoTen (Post 185955)
The ibiza has a very unique feature set and i think the closest competitor it has is the Zune that matches podcast downloads and other wireless features.

Here is the match up for the hard drive ibiza

ibiza Rhapsody vs Zune 30 & Zune 80

Here is the flash match up with the Zune 8/4 but i also added the Sansa Connect since it does have the ability to direct download.

ibiza Rhapsody vs Zune 4/8 vs SanDisk Sansa Connect

And now there's the Slacker Player ...

http://www.slacker.com/products/portables/

EnzoTen 02-13-2008 03:43 PM

the slacker is more like Sirus or XM. failure imo

PromisedPlanet 02-13-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnzoTen (Post 217197)
the slacker is more like Sirus or XM. failure imo

I'm not sure I really consider Sirius to be a failure. Their latest portable model is actually pretty cool ... nice interface, good sound, and it's great to be able to hear a variety of music without being tethered to a PC or WiFi (or FM radio ;) ). A bit more memory for MP3 storage, and a lower price, and I think the thing would really take off.

EnzoTen 02-13-2008 08:57 PM

oh... i was talking about the slacker being a failure... Granted im not speaking from experience but looking at past devices like it that have failed. MusicGremlin, Connect, ibiza Rhapsody... all great devices in their niche, but the market dosent want what they have to offer. That type of device just doent work, the market has shown it...

I will be pickin up a Slacker soon to give it a proper hands on eval =)

PromisedPlanet 02-14-2008 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnzoTen (Post 217293)
oh... i was talking about the slacker being a failure... Granted im not speaking from experience but looking at past devices like it that have failed. MusicGremlin, Connect, ibiza Rhapsody... all great devices in their niche, but the market dosent want what they have to offer. That type of device just doent work, the market has shown it...

Enzo, you probably keep track of this info more than I do, but ... why do you consider the Connect to be a failure? Sales, or .. ? The only problem is that Yahoo is dropping its Music To Go service, but that's not a fault of the player.

I think as WiFi becomes more prevalent in people's homes, you'll see more and more demand for players that can stream music. I've never heard anyone who has WiFi say "I'm not interested in streaming music to my player", and the people who have players like the Connect love it.

EnzoTen 02-14-2008 10:00 AM

I base it on sales and general buzz for these products. When i gave away 3 Connects people were not as excited as wen i gave away a t400. The problem and the reason these player have been a failure is mainly because they have sold at a premium. While i totally agree that people want wi-fi and streaming, they are not willing to pay the premium. That said, i think wi-fi cannot be the players best feature or touted as their best feature. wi-fi needs to be an ancillary feature and it needs to preform well first with the core functionality. Wi-fi has been too overpowering in the above mentioned players. When wi-fi is a secondary feature, then i think you will start to see some success.

The Zune is on the right track, still have baked and still no where near, but i see it doing similar things to the Connect and ibiza in the future. I would also keep my eye on Creative, they should be releasing a wi-fi player in the next few months.

dfkt 02-14-2008 10:08 AM

FWIW, I don't give a flying frigg about Wifi or Bluetooth on an audio/video player.

Wireless is way too slow to sync/transfer files onto a player, and I'm not interested in radio functionality or "social" file-sharing on the go. Not to mention pseudo-PDA features like web-browsing, which certainly don't work well on a device that's purpose is to play back audio/video files. It just drains the battery and drives the price of the player up.

This is just my opinion, others might find it cool having Wifi for some reason or other...

PromisedPlanet 02-14-2008 10:17 AM

Enzo, definitely agree about the cost (for the same reason, I agree about the iBiza Rhapsody).

The thing is that there is a buzz going on now about music-related websites like Rhapsody and Last.FM. I could see a relatively inexpensive player that has some sort of tie-in with Last.FM as being huge. And I think people get a ... I don't know ... kind of ego gratification out of doing something on their player (such as rating songs) and having it being fed back to a public system. Especially if also improves the song selection being fed back to their player.

Re sync speed over WiFi ... this is going to keep improving. Got 802.11n ? ;)

But, 'nuf said, to each his/her own. I guess I'm just a Sansa Connect fanboy. I love listening to music anywhere around my home, never knowing what's coming up next, discovering new music, and improving the music stream through my ratings. That and having my own personal music collection on the player ... nice.

EnzoTen 02-14-2008 04:22 PM

If you are a connect fanboy you will love the ibiza!

PromisedPlanet 02-14-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnzoTen (Post 217515)
If you are a connect fanboy you will love the ibiza!

Oh, I've definitely been eye-balling it. But given that a ibiza goes for about $230, and I'm not a subscription music fan (I don't use Yahoo Music To Go) ... er ... maybe not. ;)