abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa e200 Rockbox (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Rockbox, Forum & Other FAQs (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18258)

cpchan 08-03-2007 01:33 PM

Rockbox, Forum & Other FAQs

Available FAQs

Note: All FAQs can also be downloaded in PDF and HTML formats (with hyperlinks) located in their respective "table of contents" page.

General

Rockbox

cpchan 08-03-2007 01:43 PM

Sansa e200 Rockbox FAQ: Table of Contents

2 Attachment(s)
Sansa e200 Rockbox FAQ

Parts are from the old FAQ by chrisjs162216

Contents

1 General
2 Installation and Uninstallation
3 Usage
3.1 General
3.2 Interface
3.3 Music and Other Audio Files
3.4 Radio
3.5 Video
3.6 Games
3.7 Other Plugins

cpchan 08-21-2007 07:35 AM

Sansa e200 Rockbox FAQ: General

General

Q: What is Rockbox?

Rockbox is a replacement firmware for several portable media player including the e200 series. In addition to playing your media files, Rockbox also features a plugin system whereby additional functionality such as utilities and games can be added. Please refer the WhyRockbox Wiki page for additional information.

Q: Will installing Rockbox void my warranty?

No installing Rockbox will not void your warranty. However, if you brick your Sansa (which is rare) they will not replace it. If you need support, you have to put the SanDisk firmware before calling.

Q: Is Rockbox safe to use?

In general, yes. There have been very few major errors with Rockbox on the Sansa, and if there is a problem, people on this forum, as well as on the Official Rockbox forum are usually able to help.

Q: Can Rockbox "brick" my Sansa?

The general answer is no. However, user error can cause problems that will require e200tool to be used (please note that very few people have gotten e200tool to work under Windows). However, this usually only happens when a user places random files on the Recovery Mode portion of the Sansa, and can usually be fixed. There have been no known reports of Rockbox fully bricking (making it completely unusable) a Sansa. There is also a trouble shooting guide and unbricking guide set up for your convenience.

Q Will Rockbox work on my e220r?

Yes, however the installation instructions are different.

Q Will Rockbox work on my e200 v2?

Yes.

Q Will Rockbox work on my c200

Yes. follow these directions. However, this is still a new port so it it is not as functional as the e200 port.

Q: What are Unofficial Builds?

Unofficial builds are Rockbox versions with other patches applied for extra functionality. All of the builds on this site are Unofficial builds. Please do not report bugs in them unless you have verified it with an Official Current build.

Q: I have a question that isn't answered here, what should I do?

Please refer to the SansaFAQ at Rockbox.org for more frequently asked questions. If your question isn't answered there either, feel free to post it in the forum. However, please do not PM a
Moderator/Administrator with your question, or PM them asking to add your question to the FAQ. If they feel it should be added, they will add it.

cpchan 08-21-2007 07:51 AM

Sansa e200 Rockbox FAQ: Installation and Uninstallation

Installation and Uninstallation

Q: Where can I download Rockbox?

The official Rockbox current build for the e200 series can be downloaded from here. However, there are unofficial builds with additional features located in our Sansa Rockbox forum. The list of additional features for each build are clearly stated in the first post of their respective threads. Please do not report any bugs with the unofficial builds to the Rockbox bug tracker unless you have verified it with a current build. Instead problems with unofficial builds should be reported to their respective maintainer.

Q: How do I install it?

The instructions for installing Rockbox is in the installation section of the Rocbox Manual. A PDF version and a html zip version are also available for download.

Q: How can I uninstall it?

Just about the same way you installed it. It's detailed at the bottom of the Installation section of the Rockbox Manual.

Q: How do I update Rockbox?

Download a new copy of the zip file found on the Rockbox site, or in one of the Compiled Build threads on this forum. Unzip the file to your Sansa, overwriting the old files.

cpchan 08-21-2007 08:16 AM

Sansa e200 Rockbox FAQ: Usage: General

Usage: General

Q: Can I run Rockbox and the Original Firmware (OF) at the same time?

Yes. Rockbox allows you to dual boot, so you can choose to run Rockbox or the OF at startup (press <<| to load the OF).

Q: How can I setup Rockbox to boot the OF first?

You need to install a reverse bootloader. You can download one from here.

Q: I can't get my computer to recognize my Sansa while it's running Rockbox. Why?

Rockbox doesn't have USB support for the e200 series at this point, although it is planned for Google Summer of Code. Until USB support is added, you must use the Original Firmware for file transfers.

Q: My Sansa is frozen, what should I do?

Press and hold power for 20 seconds.

cpchan 08-21-2007 08:36 AM

Sansa e200 Rockbox FAQ: Usage: Interface

Usage: Interface

Q: Why is there a few lines of jumbled pixels at the top of my screen? How can I get rid of it?

This is a known bug affecting a certain version of the Sansas caused by the Rockbox bootloader. This bug have now been fixed. Please updated your bootloader with the latest sansapatcher.

Q: The text/menus are so small! How can I make them bigger?

Rockbox allows you to use a different font if you choose. You can download all the available fonts here and unzip it to your Sansa, or you can install a theme (leading into next question) which usually contains only one font. Optionally, you can create create your own.

Q: Can Rockbox be themed?

Rockbox allows you to customize the interface with themes, which you can create yourself or download one from here.

Q: How can I change the icons in Rockbox?

The icons in Rockbox can also be themed. You can download an iconset from here or learn how to make your own.

Q: I have changed my font, but it has no effect on the keyboard. What can I do?

The only way to use you chosen font with Rockbox is to create and use a custom keyboard.

Q: I am blind, can I use Rockbox?

Rockbox have extensive support for blind users. Please refer to this page for details. Premade voice files can be downloaded from here.

Q: I can't find my music in the Rockbox file browser.

The OF have this annoying habit of hiding and rehiding the "Music" directory. You can either move your files else where or set Rockbox to show all files.

cpchan 08-21-2007 08:44 AM

Sansa e200 Rockbox FAQ: Usage: Music and Other Audio Files

Usage: Music and Other Audio Files

Q: What codecs can Rockbox support? (Also, can Rockbox play [insert codec of choice here] files)?

For a list of supported codec please refer to this page. However, please note that some of these codecs are still in its early stages of support. The best supported lossy codecs at this point are Ogg Vorbis and MP3. As to lossless, your best bet is FLAC or WAVPack.

cpchan 08-21-2007 09:01 AM

Sansa e200 Rockbox FAQ: Usage: Radio

Usage: Radio

Q: Where can I get a FM preset for my region?

FM presets for Rockbox can be download from here. If there isn't one for your region, you can make your own by following the instructions under the "Description" section on this page. Please consider making one for another missing region to help the project out.

cpchan 08-21-2007 09:09 AM

Sansa e200 Rockbox FAQ: Usage: Video

Usage: Video

Q: Can Rockbox play videos? If so, in what formats?

Rockbox supports MPEG1 and MPEG2 videos with either MP1, MP2 or MP3 audio. Files can be played by selecting them in Rockbox, and mpegplayer will automatically start. A general guide for encoding movies for different Operating Systems is located here. MJPEG codec in a MOV container, which currently are the only files supported in the Original Firmware, are not supported on Rockbox.

cpchan 08-21-2007 09:16 AM

Sansa e200 Rockbox FAQ: Usage: Games

Usage: Games

Q: Can I play Gameboy games on Rockbox?

Rockbox does support Gameboy and Gameboy Colour ROMs. All you have to do is to play the file in the file browser. For more detailed instructions, please refer to this page. The only legal way to get the games is to purchase them. Please do not ask how to pirate these game on the forum.

Q: Can I play DOOM in Rockbox?

Rockbox does support DOOM1 WADs. For detailed usage instructions please refer to this page. As with the Gameboy ROMs, please do not ask on the forum on how to pirate commercial WAD. However, there are a number of free WADs, such as FreeDOOM- questions concerning how to obtain these are permissible.

cpchan 08-21-2007 09:22 AM

Sansa e200 Rockbox FAQ: Usage: Other Plugins

Usage: Other Plugins

Q: What does [plugin name] do?

Please refer to this page for a list of all plugins supported on the e200. More detailed instructions for using the plugins can be found here. Please note that patches can change the controls/buttons.

Q: What's the dict plugin do?

The dict plugin is a dictionary, but requires two files to work. Simply download those files from here and extract them to the .rockbox directory on your Sansa.