abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa e200 Rockbox (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Forum Questions and Comments (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18257)

iamnohs 07-06-2007 06:29 AM

Forum Questions and Comments

Regarding the problem of the player freezing due to the MicroSD patch, could you modify that answer to indicate that not some, not all Sansas are affected by this problem? Right now the answer seems to imply that Sansas are affected universally, but I updated without incident and have never had a microSD card.

Perhaps simply, "There seems to be some sort of physical glitch in some Sansas that causes them to freeze if a MicroSD card has never been inserted."

Great work, chrisjs162216. Thanks for the time you put in.

cpchan 07-06-2007 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnohs (Post 141599)
Regarding the problem of the player freezing due to the MicroSD patch, could you modify that answer to indicate that not some, not all Sansas are affected by this problem?

I concur, in fact only a very small percentage of users have this problem.

Charles

chrisjs162216 07-06-2007 06:57 AM

Ok, I changed it to "There seems to be some sort of physical glitch in some Sansas that causes them to freeze if a MicroSD card has never been inserted." like you suggested, as it indeed seems to be very few with the issue. Thanks for the suggestion

cpchan 07-17-2007 03:06 AM

Quote:

Why is there a few lines of jumbled pixels at the top of my screen? How can I get rid of it?
Jack, I think this section should be changed with recent developments.

Charles

chrisjs162216 07-17-2007 07:57 AM

I just woke up not too long ago, but does that sound better?

cpchan 07-17-2007 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 (Post 146406)
I just woke up not too long ago, but does that sound better?

Yes, this is fine.

Charles

Pennhaven 07-19-2007 01:18 PM

Upgrading Original Firmware with RockBox

Must RockBox and it's boot loader be removed before upgrading the original firmware to a new version?

chrisjs162216 07-19-2007 01:23 PM

Nope. Less than a minute after you posted that, I added a link to the Sansa FAQ on the Rockbox site. To upgrade the original firmware, all you need to do is use Sansa Updater to upgrade the original firmware, and then read Section 2.2.4 of the manual to reinstall the Rockbox bootloader. More details are described in the How do I update the Original Firmware section of the Rockbox FAQ :)

Pennhaven 07-19-2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 (Post 147371)
Nope. Less than a minute after you posted that, I added a link to the Sansa FAQ on the Rockbox site...

"It's density.":D

cpchan 07-31-2007 10:23 PM

Hello all:

I will be spending the next couple of days reorganizing and adding on to the FAQ. If there is anything that you think should be added, please PM me.

Charles

Llorean 08-03-2007 01:47 PM

The June 30th freeze problem should be fixed in SVN Rockbox. I'm not sure if that question should still be in the FAQ, as it might suggest to people that completely unrelated freezes are caused by it.

cpchan 08-03-2007 02:43 PM

Llorean:

You are welcome to post in the "Rockbox Related Announcements" sticky thread.

Charles

cpchan 08-03-2007 03:04 PM

I will be putting up an index of the builds, programs, wps hosted here shortly. Can all respective build maintainers, authors post a short blurb?

Charles

Llorean 08-03-2007 03:21 PM

Do you want one for things like "SVN Rockbox", "Sansapatcher" and "RBUTil"?

digerati1338 08-03-2007 03:43 PM

I can do one for digibuild and ReverseBL. Let me know if you need any other help. :)

cpchan 08-03-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llorean (Post 152199)
Do you want one for things like "SVN Rockbox", "Sansapatcher" and "RBUTil"?

Yes. I will also be putting up links to resources like fonts, icon sets, FM presets, etc.

Charles

Llorean 08-03-2007 08:19 PM

SVN Rockbox:

This can be considered the "standard" or "official" version of Rockbox. This is any version of Rockbox downloaded from the build.rockbox.org page. Each copy of this has a file, rockbox-info.txt, which tells what version number it is.

All of the "branches" or "custom builds" are featuresets added on top of this vanilla Rockbox. It is often the most stable version, as patches must be tested and considered stable as part (but not all) of the process of getting included, though in many cases the custom builds are nearly equally stable. If you wish to receive support at the official forums, or wish to report a bug to the maintainers of the official version of Rockbox it must be able to be reproduced with this version of Rockbox (specifically one downloaded within the last few hours, as it should be 'current' to be sure that somebody hasn't already fixed the bug).

Sansapatcher:

This is the program used to install the bootloader. It is not the bootloader itself. It contains with it a small amount of code that is copied to a hidden part of the "disk" (flash memory) on your Sansa. When your Sansa turns on, it looks for the original firmware to run, but once the bootloader is installed, the original firwmare is moved slightly and the bootloader is put where it used to be, so it gets run instead. The bootloader then loads the Rockbox files off of the part of the player you can normally see, unless you do something (hold down Left, or plug in USB) to cause it to boot the Original Firmware instead. Because the Original Firmware (or OF) is still kept in the hidden part of the flash, even if you delete all the files you can see on the disk, you can still make it start the OF.

RBUtil:

This is a tool designed to greatly simplify the process of installing and updating official versions of Rockbox. Though incomplete at this time it will also allow the downloading of "Extras" such as fonts, themes, the free Doom wads that we provide, and possibly in the future Database generation and Scrobbler submission. It is still being developed, but when complete should replace all current installation instructions for the official version of Rockbox, having a simple point and click interface.

Edit: Is this roughly what you had in mind? I'm more than happy to edit, shorten, or redescribe if it's not what you were thinking.

cpchan 08-09-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llorean (Post 152235)
Edit: Is this roughly what you had in mind? I'm more than happy to edit, shorten, or redescribe if it's not what you were thinking.

Llorean, sorry for the delay. This is great, I will use it in my FAQ.

Charles

cpchan 08-09-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digerati1338 (Post 152202)
I can do one for digibuild and ReverseBL. Let me know if you need any other help. :)

Please PM it to me or post it here.

Charles

cpchan 08-09-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpchan (Post 152193)
I will be putting up an index of the builds, programs, wps hosted here shortly. Can all respective build maintainers, authors post a short blurb?

This is the last call for your blurbs. If I don't receive it within the next day, I will make something up for you.

Charles