abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa e200 Rockbox (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Why won't it work on the Rhapsody series? (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10730)

DCM 03-03-2007 11:32 AM

Why won't it work on the Rhapsody series?

1. What makes the R series so different from the regular Sansas?
2. Why won't Rockbox work on it?
3. Is there a way I can change it so it will work?

a12ctic 03-03-2007 12:02 PM

Accualy, I think that they are having some breakthroughs with the R series.

skukza 03-05-2007 03:54 PM

The encyption on the firmware is different from that of the standard model.

so while progress is being made it is slow as the major effort is to get a version for the standard one realeased. However IF the ecycrption is cracked porting the e200 rockbox work to the e200r series should be a doddle as they are on the whole identical.

Please use the search on the forum and google before asking questains taht have already been answeared.

Bagder 03-09-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skukza (Post 80502)
The encyption on the firmware is different from that of the standard model.

so while progress is being made it is slow as the major effort is to get a version for the standard one realeased. However IF the ecycrption is cracked porting the e200 rockbox work to the e200r series should be a doddle as they are on the whole identical.

The e200r encryption has already been "cracked" and we can both encrypt and decrypt R series firmwares (see the mi4 page and recent mi4code releases). There's still some problem to generate a valid Rockbox bootloader mi4 though so we've not completely nailed all the details.

Destroyer14094 06-10-2007 06:49 PM

one question, what exactly is the bootloader, and why can't you just delete whatever it is in the firmware that requires a legit signature. Also, is it possible(last resort, I know its dangorous, could fry the hardware) to just flash the R series hardware, and put the non-R data on it as a temporary solution to no rockbox?(more permenant though, wouldn't risk it twice).

chrisjs162216 06-10-2007 07:00 PM

I don't really understand what you mean, but unless you're doing physical modifications, you couldn't fry the hardware. I'm going to take a guess and assume you are asking if it's possible to change an R series to a non R. While that is possible and has been done before, people have almost bricked their players (or maybe they went from non-r to R and back...) while others have bricked them (and AFAIK nobody's found a 'safe' way to recover them)

saratoga 06-10-2007 07:06 PM

The R series does not allow you to change the bootloader through any means that we know of.

Destroyer14094 06-10-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 (Post 132220)
I don't really understand what you mean, but unless you're doing physical modifications, you couldn't fry the hardware. I'm going to take a guess and assume you are asking if it's possible to change an R series to a non R. While that is possible and has been done before, people have almost bricked their players (or maybe they went from non-r to R and back...) while others have bricked them (and AFAIK nobody's found a 'safe' way to recover them)

I mean changing the hardware's like, I don't know the best word to use, but it's OS, Bios, whatever you wanna call it... I know you can change a hardware's programming(I don't know how), but if one small mistake is made, I know you will have a functionless and blank hardware, making it useless, but I wanted to know if it has been done with the sansa, and how... But your assumption is right too. I would imagine that the way I was asking about is why ppl have bricked their players, so it proves that it can be done, only thing is if it is too complicated to do, then forget it, because I don't wanna brick my sansa in the process, at least not untill I buy the non-R version of the sansa, then I won't care, and I will have no problem flashing the hardware.

chrisjs162216 06-10-2007 10:10 PM

There'd really be no point in physiclly modifying the hardware, as the only thing 'stored' on it is the pre-bootloader (or maybe it's the I2C...) which never needs to be modified.

Destroyer14094 06-11-2007 08:54 PM

but I thought one of the problems was installing the bootloader onto the r series... And then after that the problem was getting the sansa to recognise a fake signature.

I here about the bootloader a lot, and am still not 100% sure what it is... is it by any chance similar to the bios on a computer that allows a computer to boot up into the actual operating system?

Also, what is the I2C??

And, why can't someone set up a temporary build of rockbox that has and uses an exact copy of the rhapsody signature untill a custom made signature can be created that the player can accept?

And, why can't a version of rockbox be made that uses the rhapsody bootloader?

Sorry about all the questions, but knowing more about it can't hurt any.

saratoga 06-11-2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destroyer14094 (Post 132555)

And, why can't someone set up a temporary build of rockbox that has and uses an exact copy of the rhapsody signature untill a custom made signature can be created that the player can accept?

A signature is unique to a file. The only software that can have the rhapsody's signature is the rhapsody software. If this wasn't the case, signing would be pretty useless.

Quote:

And, why can't a version of rockbox be made that uses the rhapsody bootloader?

Because the R series will not load any software thats not signed.

Quote:

Sorry about all the questions, but knowing more about it can't hurt any.

Don't ask here. I really doubt theres anyone here who happens to remember all the details. Go read through the Rhapsody thread on Rockbox.org and read it for yourself.

Destroyer14094 06-12-2007 10:31 AM

Quote:

Don't ask here. I really doubt theres anyone here who happens to remember all the details. Go read through the Rhapsody thread on Rockbox.org and read it for yourself.
Well, I plan on it, and I don't know why I didn't think to do that... But ok...

You told me basicly all I wanted to know, so thanks.

xhozt 06-12-2007 11:15 PM

willing to help destroyer??

Destroyer14094 06-13-2007 07:59 PM

hells yea... so, tell me how to program, and I'll be all set, lol.

chrisjs162216 06-13-2007 09:01 PM

Am I missing something? What is it you plan on doing?

Destroyer14094 06-13-2007 09:48 PM

idk, I just want to help get the signature crap to work if possible... I'll help with just about anything really... I'm also willing to make my sansa the test dummy for rockbox, since I have tried getting it on there before, but I knew enough to get it working again w/o any problems whatsoever.

idc what I do to help, just give me something to do to speed up rockbox to work on the R series.

NYer 06-25-2007 10:12 AM

So I purchased the 280R at BestBuy for $180, less two gift cards that I got from buying shelf merchandise, making the cost a ridiculous $50. Then I installed Rhapsody for my two months free trial, and enjoyed one week of unlimited music. Then my PC got hosed, my DRM was corrupted, and I rebuilt everything, but only ended up with my 1 week worth of Rhapsody.

So I decide to get rid of Rhapsody, but now I don't have playlists on the player. I also can't edit id3 tags on the player to change the genre or album so I could fake a playlist. So I start looking for a playlist editor, stumble onto this site, find out about Rockbox, and say to myself, "Perfect, this is the way to go."

So I go to the site, see the warning about the R series, pop back to this forum and join up so I can ask why. Then I see this thread, and see why.

Bummer. Not so much of a bargain anymore.

Well, if you ever get working, I'll be around to try it out.

zajacattack 07-30-2007 07:51 PM

I have a question: How can boot my e280R into pre-bootloader mode and extract the i2c rom? Then, we might be able to modify it. And, if this is possible, how would I re-upload the new i2c rom to my player?

One more thing, is there a way to actually view the ROM on the player? Maybe the BL is stored there as well...

cpchan 07-31-2007 04:38 AM

@Everyone: Please move the discussion to this thread:

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=9263.0

Charles