abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home Audio, Car Audio, Amplifiers, Cables (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Show off your home setup! (56k warning) (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12880)

rickysio 07-26-2010 05:35 AM

Singapore's consistently hot. :(

HulkSmashNow 07-26-2010 09:58 AM

So is Texas.

Satellite_6 07-26-2010 10:54 AM

It has been 100+ F here. . .

mine mine mine all mine:
I'm listening to my i7 atm -> EF2A -> HD 650s.

rickysio 07-26-2010 10:55 AM

I be poor student.

lestatar 07-26-2010 12:28 PM

guys, great pics, but a word of advice: please scale down your pics to 900px width to avoid breaking the site layout...

better from me than from mods... :-D

WalkGood 07-26-2010 12:46 PM

Pixel dimension width can be up to 920 max or yea it breaks the layout as lestatar stated, please resize your pictures.

rickysio 07-26-2010 10:36 PM

I'll do that when back home - using my N900 to browse now.

sid adams 08-10-2010 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my setup, the Amp and speakers are about 30yrs old.
Cowon S9 and Its friends
Amp: Akai AA-8030
Speaker: B&W DM110
Headphones: Senn. HD 428

Sorry about poor quality web cam pic. All I had availible.

Satellite_6 08-12-2010 03:08 PM

freddie 08-12-2010 03:18 PM

Watching The Daily Show? :D

Satellite_6 08-12-2010 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by freddie (Post 490792)
Watching The Daily Show? :D

Yes. :D

lestatar 10-02-2010 07:42 PM

OK, let's get some things outta the way:

- I am a lousy photographer [sorry about the dates dfkt...forgot];
- am posting these pics not so much to show off [nothing worth bragging about here] so much as that some folks around here might appreciate a stroll down home audio gear memory lane;
- all the gear still works. Everything is at a small family vacation home on Long Island where I visited today [to mow the lawn of all things! Oh! The indignity! The humanity!]

And yes, I did spend quite some hours as a lad blasting Kiss, Rush, Zep, Hendrix, the Who, Madonna and a whole slew of other peeps on some of this gear. My fave as I recall were the dbx speakers - biggest woofers!

So, WG, dfkt, freddie and any other fans of old school home audio, i present some low-moderate priced gear for your viewing pleasure. A lotta of other stuff my dad has kept around all these years later is in storage, whether they still work or not - my old man is a massive pack rat. :(

Sorry WG, seems my pop's Advents we chatted about are among the gear in storage...

Not gonna even try to identify models numbers, etc...Go figure that out yourselves if interested :D

And finally, I am sure much of this gear is older than many of the current, active ABi members - crap, I am old lol

I is stealing these Infinitys...prolly...

Digital Speaker Switch boxes? Pffft...dig this gem:

Proud to say my old man never fell for the "monster cable scams"...

And this last one is from my excursions in lawn mowing, something I haven't done in 20 years. I though this was an interesting shot...a tiny blue flower in a sea of green.

Yes, it looked much nicer in person. Yes, I fail as a photographer.

We cannot all be like Ansel Adams you know... :D

Satellite_6 10-02-2010 07:58 PM

If you have time to listen to speakers, you have time to listen to cans. :p

Buy some!

Here is old pic of my 650s with my dad's stuff, taken before my amp came in the mail. . .

I didn't think much of his stuff, the CD player kept skipping! Really ancient I think.

lestatar 10-02-2010 08:13 PM

lol Satellite....Nice stuff!

You remind me of Darth Vader, imploring Luke to join him in the Dark Side... [ummm, that happened in Empire, Adub :D ]

"You know it to be true! Search your feelings! You want full-sized headphones!!!

pffft... ;)

Satellite_6 10-02-2010 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by lestatar (Post 503902)
lol Satellite....Nice stuff!

You remind me of Darth Vader, imploring Luke to join him in the Dark Side... [ummm, that happened in Empire, Adub :D ]

"You know it to be true! Search your feelings! You want full-sized headphones!!!

pffft... ;)

I tried to get my dad to buy cans too, but I eventually gave up, he doesn't listen to music much anymore. :(

Oh well, he's deaf anyway, listens to music twice as loud as I do.

WalkGood 10-02-2010 08:27 PM

Nice gear, what was the address again :D ;)

lestatar 10-02-2010 08:35 PM

WG: toldya in irc...

1313 Mockingbird Lane - its the "Last House On The Left"
Amityville, New York

BlindBandit 10-03-2010 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by yuki (Post 380398)
picked up a pair of KRK G2 8's and 6's , put the 6's in my living room and the 8's in my live mixer crate to take to live events when i need to do after show auditioning. the 8's are way to big to fit on my awesome polk monitor 60 speaker stands... ^^ Bass response on the 6's is amazingly good no sub needed imo

also redid the living room, here is a night shot... the leds are still pic controlled by the compueter

Nice setup dood! that how a room should be. i will post my room when i have the time & when i fix my room good :(.

Thib 02-06-2011 04:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello :D !

It's time for me to show my different rigs to the community :), let me introduce you to... the easy student rig :P !
(Attached the picture in case the hoster removes the link :( )
Yes, I know, the quality of the camera is awful (my dad's one), but it's the best picture I suceeded in taking and I don't have 300 euros to spend, well, for a camera at least...

The Harman Kardon Soundsticks II are plugged into the dual analogic ASUS Xonar Essence STX input, it goes extremely well with it, and I can at last equalize without hearing any quality loss :).

Transcend Storejet 640GB USB 3.0 (with solid cover :D) in case the HDD wouldn't work anymore :o.

Travel Rig :

- ASUS Netbook 12,1" (definitely a good size ^^) + M-Audio Transit USB + JBL Duet II

Portable Rig :

- Cowon J3 + Sennheiser IE8 or Shure SE420
Believe it or not, now I can go out with the Sennheise IE8 and they are more isolating than the SE420 with foam sleeves on ! I asked for a full mold around the shell itself, I'll translate you the letter I sent my audiologist on another post, the result is really outstanding :eek:...

Home Rig :

- ASUS Xonar Essence STX + Harman Kardon Soundsticks II
or ASUS Xonar Essence STX + Sony TA-FE230 amplifier (110 Watts 8 ohms) + Elipson HORUS 3 100 Watts 8 ohms impedance :D.
That's my mother rig xD !!! She has an enormous amount of CD... I had to rip them in Flac and scan them all pffffiiuuu... I sure like when my parents leave home :rolleyes:. No I kid, I still pay attention to the neighboors :D.

I didn't have any PCI-E and my computer was old so I replaced it :(, now I have a good gaming rig (Phenom X4 955 BE, HD5770 and 4GB RAM) and together with the ASUS Xonar and the pretty accurate 22 inches screen I'm very happy.

The custom sleeves for Sennheiser IE8 and ShureSE420 was the craziest idea I've ever had, but it also turned out to be the best idea (not that my ideas are usually bad :D). To give you an idea, I had a bigger shock than when I went from the poor Koss Portapro to the Sennheiser CX550 Style 2 (which I paid 100 euros at that time :p), I thought I'd never live anything like that :rolleyes: . I'll make a really small review with the ASUS Xonar Essence STX as well.

Next Rig : Probably ASUS Xonar Essence STX -> Harman Kardon HK980 amplifier -> Celan XT 701
I should visit an HECO store but if it actually has the same type of sound as the HECO in the old second hand CD shop, I'll be totally blown away, plus I'll be able to equalize a bit :rolleyes:. I'm convinced there are inherent caracteristics of speakers that you can't obtain by equalizing like soundstage or punch for instance...

Just forgot to say : I'm only 19 (and I'm aware that I'm a lucky b****** :D)

dkschlaefer 02-10-2011 12:04 PM

It's not much, but until I finish school, get a new place and a better job it'll do.

I carry the netbook back and forth to school, but at home I hook up an external drive and it turns into my media player.

IMGP1540 by dkschlaefer, on Flickr

Now that I'm finally done organizing all of my music and have it tagged properly (glad I'll never have to go through that again) I set up XBMC on my netbook so I can turn my main rig off and enjoy my music without distractions. I'm using a Creative xmod I had lying around for now until I can get a proper USB DAC. I use my Evo as a remote so I can sit on my bed or in a chair (which is in my closet because it won't fit anywhere else in my tiny room) and control it from there.

Unfortunately due to the size of my room I had to kind of squeeze everything up against my wall, and the speakers are way off to the sides.

IMGP1566 by dkschlaefer, on Flickr