abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Show Off Your Gear (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   I have more MP3 players than I need. And I love it. (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46523)

austinv 10-20-2011 12:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Any serious collectors out there? I have ~120 pieces including all time greats from Rio, Cowon, Creative, iRiver, Archos, Samsung, Sony, etc.. some new in box, some LE rares, some only released in EU/Korea, etc. Plus a ton of stuff from more generic brands & china (lot buys).

Two display cases full, soon a third.

edit: will upload pics tommorrow

Syndrome 10-20-2011 04:12 AM

Pics or it didn't happen.

austinv 10-20-2011 05:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
more stuffs

briant1234 10-20-2011 04:23 PM

^ is that the same austinv that started iaudiphile?

JK98 10-20-2011 05:02 PM

Austinv, out of all the players, which are your favorites? How many of them do you listen to regularly?

Olley 10-20-2011 07:02 PM

I'm building quite a collection. Not sure I can name them all. MP3 players started with a cheap device no memory that came with an SD card. Any MP3s you copied to the SD card you could shuffle through on the device. Dane Elec or something like that. Latest is the Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Wi-Fi. Oh what a difference a couple of years made. Think there are a few Samsungs, a couple of Irivers, a dose of Cowons, a toot of Lattes, a flock of Archos, a smile of Creatives, a peck of Philips, a squirt of Sansas, a bite of Apples, and some cheap crap I'm sure came from walmart.

Marvin the Martian 10-20-2011 07:39 PM

Five is enough. (says the guy that had 7, downsized to 4, proclaimed 4 to be enough, and then bought another player):p

mikee 10-20-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinv (Post 580432)
more stuffs

Are those all yours? If so why do you have THAT many mp3 players. I have 4. 3 working soon to be 4 when I get my galaxy player. some of those even look like the same model but different color. Are you a collector?

Edit: read your first post nice collection! but are they all working?

Addicted 10-21-2011 07:03 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if a tech museum bought those things off you in a few years Austinv, I recognise one of those cd players, ahh the nostalgia :P

PEACEFUL1 10-21-2011 02:32 PM

@ austinv wow you have so many toys !! I guess this is the official PMP museum:D
happy to see you around :)

austinv 10-21-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briant1234 (Post 580505)
^ is that the same austinv that started iaudiphile?

ahh ya, i remember that. :) dapreview too and some others.

thing is, running a website is a PITA. mucking about with servers, customizing the design, configuring software & modules.. that's all kind of fun. but people expect it to work, and that's work. managing users, maintenance, fixing problems, spambots and hackers make it a chore. i tried to figure things out best i could but i'm not an IT guy.

also it was hard for me to make it financially viable because i hate spamming with ads and ref links, etc. last few years it was just a drain on my pocketbook. i'm glad Grahm & Crowdsource were willing to take it over.

i'd rather collect MP3 players, tinker/fix/mod, and play with my toys. :D

The DarkSide 10-21-2011 03:23 PM

Way to go austinv, glad you're hanging around with us.

austinv 10-21-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK98 (Post 580514)
Austinv, out of all the players, which are your favorites? How many of them do you listen to regularly?

My favorites items are the old classics, early models, LE's, & anything really rare.

Best stuffs:
Cowon iAudio CW200 128mb
Cowon iAudio 4 256mb
HanGo PJB-100 6gb translucent teal
Rio Chiba Sobe 128mb green (NIB, 2005 contest prize)
Rio Chiba Sobe 256mb black (NIB/Sealed, 2005 contest prize)
Rio Carbon 5gb Limited Edition #447/500
Rio Carbon ce2110 2.5gb light green
Sensory Science Rave:MP MP2100 96mb (incl. 32mb daughterboard)
Creative Nomad 32mb w/dock (+box/complete)
Creative Nomad II 64mb (NIB w/remote)
Creative Nomad Jukebox 6gb (NIB)
Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 20gb (NIB/Sealed)

Not necessarily valuable though. Single most expensive part has been a mint iHP-120 ($110), not counting the old iPod g2 I bought on release day ($400). Other players I bought through the years were sold or given away, now they're all pretty cheap on eBay. Rarely any bidding wars on the good ones so it doesn't seem like there's many (any?) collectors out there.

You'll probably laugh but the players I use the most are Sandisk Clips, because they work well enough and I can take them out or leave them laying around anywhere and it's not a big deal if they get broken/lost/stolen.

At home and work I use the good ones depending on mood and whatever is new. I bought a lot the other week with some broken iPods, an old Archos Studio, a craptastic Bantam BA1000 etc so I'm using those now after I fixed em up with new batteries and/or hard drives. First working iPods I've had in years (G4 standard & Photo).

Recently I'm using a Rio ce2100 that I upgraded with 8GB CF card.

austinv 10-22-2011 01:09 AM

BA1000 was a disaster. so bad it was funny. found a review i did back in the day

http://web.archive.org/web/200408151...php?review.108

Marvin the Martian 11-10-2011 10:22 PM

Current inventory, in order of capacity, not in order of use......

Microsoft Zune HD 64GB
Apple iPod Touch 4G 32GB
SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip 8GB+16GB(rockboxed)
SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8GB(rockboxed)
Apple iPod Shuffle 4G 2GB

mikee 11-10-2011 10:47 PM

I don't get why people have so many mp3 players from the same era. For me I have ones I got when one became old but I still hung on to the old one. my 2 mp3 players are ipod touch 2g for apps and videos and clip+ for working out that's it for my working lineup now

Just Some Guy 11-10-2011 11:03 PM

It might be because there are serious technological advances that occur at the same time. For instance, with even only a few years ago, we saw more and more touchscreen devices popping up. We also saw the expansion of SDHC cards becoming cheaper and readily available.

Factors like that mean that there are multiple devices with the right features at reasonable prices at the same time. Suddenly it not only becomes feasible to have multiple new devices, but even beneficial. A Clip+ is good for some uses, but a larger player (like a Sony S545) is better for others, while yet another (say an Archos 43) might be best for home use. Having the option (not to mention the flexibility) of multiple devices makes it overall better. I can take the cheap easily replaceable one on hikes, and leave the more expensive one at home where it's safe. This one is a bigger capacity and has longer battery life, so that's good for road trips.

That sort of thing.

Danneq 11-11-2011 04:10 AM

Amazing collection austinv! I also like older players. They can sound very good and they focus on music playback.

All of my players are used regularely. The only one I don't bring out of the house is the Nomad Jukebox 3 since it's too bulky. I had one from 2003 'til 2005 and then gave it away when I bought a Zen Touch. Out of nostalgia I bought a NJB 3 from Ebay and I've got it plugged into my stereo.

Marvin the Martian 12-05-2011 01:47 AM

Updates...the rockboxed Clip Zip is now 8GB w/32GB card
The rockboxed Clip+ is 8GB w/16GB card, but since the clip broke (thanks to a careless pedestrian) I am selling it to a buddy. I will be replacing it with a blue 4GB Clip Zip, which I shall immediately rockbox and toss the 16GB card in.

Why am I only getting the 4GB model? I'm sure someone will ask, given my ongoing stance that I prefer to get the most internal memory available. Well, the reason is, money's getting tight again, and with the sale of the Clip+, the 4GB Zip will only cost me a net total of $17. And I do already have the 8GB+32GB model in "gunmetal grey".

So, the updated list will be.....( in ascending order of capacity)

Apple iPod Shuffle 4G 2GB (blue)
SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB+16GB (blue)
Apple iPod Touch 4G 32GB (black)
SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip 8GB+32GB (gunmetal grey)
Microsoft Zune HD 64GB (black)

austinv 01-10-2012 02:18 AM

busy since last post. added over 100 models. bought some bulk lots, others sourced through individual ebay auctions. finally got a Saehan MPMan recently but still need Eiger version w/ dock.

Looking for:

Audio Highway Listen Up (some 2 dozen betas exist in '97, now ?)
Eiger MPman F10 / F20
Mpio HD100 / e.digital Odyssey 1000
xclef HD-800
Gateway DMP-X20

I have tons of pieces for trade all brands