abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip Rockbox (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Rockbox: Clip v1 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36978)

dfkt 06-16-2009 11:10 AM

Once again, new bootloader: http://anythingbutipod.com/images/fo...-dual_boot.zip

evohunz 06-16-2009 02:02 PM

Hi folks, I think this thread got very big and I find it hard to know how much rockbox is supported on Sansa Clip.
Where can I find a "bug list" or "what-works list" of Rockbox under Sansa Clip?

Thanks.

Goggles 06-16-2009 03:07 PM

What does the new bootloader change?

saratoga 06-16-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evohunz (Post 366382)
Hi folks, I think this thread got very big and I find it hard to know how much rockbox is supported on Sansa Clip.
Where can I find a "bug list" or "what-works list" of Rockbox under Sansa Clip?

Thanks.

On the rockbox front page theres a "current status" link to the wiki page summarizing all the new rockbox ports under development.

Mikerman 06-16-2009 06:47 PM

Here is the Sansa port page applicable to the Clip. It is kinda/sorta kept up to date (I think that the port status date itself is out of date ...).

As a general matter, Rockbox is not yet ready for the Clip (and is not generally supported for it). The last I read (like, earlier today), the Clip's habit of freezing after awhile has not yet been remedied. You can keep up with the status by reading the latest posts here or at the Rockbox forum on the Sansa port. http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=14064.1005

tubafish 06-17-2009 03:49 PM

Thanks for the updated bootloader.

Got the "unsupported codec" crash with yesterday's build for the first time. Other times it would freeze, but the unsupported codec message was new. If memory serves, it was a 192kb mp3 file. Can't remember if it was VBR or CBR. Will listen tonight for a few hours.

It appears as if v2 clips are at a standstill as far as the port moving forward.
Would applying Rockbox to an 8gb v2 result in an instant brick?

saratoga 06-17-2009 04:28 PM

The mkamsboot should refuse to patch to patch a V2 Clip firmware.

tubafish 06-17-2009 07:08 PM

Thanks saratoga.
The reply is appreciated.

The only reason I ask is that it is difficult to source Clips and be assured that they're v1. It appears as if there are two clues contained on the housing for the clip. If on the back if it says SanDisk, and if on the side above the on/off/hold switch if the "hold" text is oriented upside down when the player is laying on the clip and the screen is facing up. These observations don't assure that the guts are v1.

For those of you with v1 Clips, do these marking indicators jive with your markings, or are there exceptions lurking out there?

Alohamora 06-17-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubafish (Post 366722)
For those of you with v1 Clips, do these marking indicators jive with your markings, or are there exceptions lurking out there?

I've been buying up broken Clips and repairing them. So far, every v1 I've seen has the word Sandisk on the back, while every v2 has the flower-like logo instead.

Mikerman 06-17-2009 10:03 PM

The freeze glitch is enough to make me want to learn programming, to fix the glitch. Ah, if only the capability was there ... ;)

tubafish 06-18-2009 10:04 AM

Alohamora - It's good to know that you're saving Clips from the trash heap. :) They're quite deserving of salvaging. Nice work!

Just last night I noticed how the word "hold" is oriented above the power switch might indicate if Clips are v1. On woot.com yesterday the refurbs they were selling looked as if they were v1's, based on the posted photos. The photos showed the side where the power switch is (the back of the player wasn't visible.) Now if they were stock photos or photos representative of the products they had to sell, it's impossible to tell.

Those of us who are interested in Rockboxing our clips are a rare breed. To the masses, it's moot as to what version they have. For us, the v1's are gold. It would be nice if sellers would ID the firmware version. Que serah, serah. Rant over. :)

Mikerman - I just ran across this new post over on the new port thread. Maybe it's getting closer..:
"I experimented a bit with the memory layout of my sansa clip, in particular with the location of the stacks. I moved them from DRAM to IRAM (in firmware/target/arm/as3525/apps.lds) and decreased the CODEC_SIZE a bit to make room (in firmware/export/config-clip.h). I have not seen any playback stops anymore (I played and skipped around for several hours).
This probably isn't a proper fix, but at least it may give a clue on what could be causing these playback stops."

WalkGood 06-18-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikerman (Post 366756)
The freeze glitch is enough to make me want to learn programming, to fix the glitch. Ah, if only the capability was there ... ;)

I keep telling you guys, play albums all the way through and it rarely freezes.

epithetless 06-18-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood (Post 366860)
I keep telling you guys, play albums all the way through and it rarely freezes.

Yes, buuuuuut...that only works if you want to play albums all the way through. :cool:

tanuj 06-19-2009 07:01 AM

if u listen music with hold switch enabled .the freeze is less frequent in rockbox as i have observed in my case

WalkGood 06-19-2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless (Post 366910)
Yes, buuuuuut...that only works if you want to play albums all the way through. :cool:

Small price to pay :p btw you could always tag your own folders of just the tunes you want and play them like albums ...

tanuj 06-20-2009 01:29 AM

first identify all those songs which is causing ur rockbox clip to freeze.Now copy and paste all those songs here ##MUSIC#>Music>(your songs).Now ur clip wont freeze playing those songs.it really worked in my case.my clip wont freeze now

the ##music# folder is pre present in rockbox clip

Alohamora 06-20-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanuj (Post 367421)
first identify all those songs which is causing ur rockbox clip to freeze.Now copy and paste all those songs here ##MUSIC#>Music>(your songs).Now ur clip wont freeze playing those songs.it really worked in my case.my clip wont freeze now

the ##music# folder is pre present in rockbox clip

I see ##MUSIC# on the Clip, but not in MSC mode on WindowsXP. It seems like ##MUSIC# the root directory of MTP mode.

Ok, I copied an album to the Clip in MTP mode and it does show up in ##Music#\Music. Playing from there it does still have the track skip hangup bug. :(

I generally do not have random glitches in playback, just this track skip bug. I go back to patiently waiting mode....

saratoga 06-20-2009 01:23 PM

I don't think the folder you use matters.

tanuj 06-20-2009 01:28 PM

You cant do it using ur pc frnd.you hv to do it frm clip itself.suppose a song ABC is causing ur clip to freze.Go to this song using ur sansa rockbox clip,hold the center button,now will see a menu there,chose cut frm that menu.Now go to #MUSIC##>Music folder frm ur clip,hold the center button and chose paste.

tanuj 06-20-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alohamora (Post 367531)
I see ##MUSIC# on the Clip, but not in MSC mode on WindowsXP. It seems like ##MUSIC# the root directory of MTP mode.

Ok, I copied an album to the Clip in MTP mode and it does show up in ##Music#\Music. Playing from there it does still have the track skip hangup bug. :(

I generally do not have random glitches in playback, just this track skip bug. I go back to patiently waiting mode....

You cant do it using ur pc frnd.you hv to do it frm clip itself.suppose a song ABC is causing ur clip to freze.Go to this song using ur sansa rockbox clip,hold the center button,now will see a menu there,chose cut frm that menu.Now go to #MUSIC##>Music folder frm ur clip,hold the center button and chose paste.