abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cowon V5 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Cowon V5 Released: (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50762)

The DarkSide 12-21-2009 01:59 AM

Cowon V5 Released:

Shortly 12-21-2009 06:37 AM

Cool! This just might be what the doctor ordered. I hope the user interface is better than the O2. This does look like the O2 on steroids though.

Wow. Cool! I'll have to break the O2 I have so I can justify getting this one. Hee hee.

Also, it looks like judging from the responses to the issues with the O2, they were looking at starting from scratch for this player. So, in my opinion, it looks like they used all the negative feedback from the O2 to build this one. If that's the case, then that is okay. If my O2 was just a test case, I would have liked to know about it first...

Merry Christmas everyone!

Olley 12-21-2009 08:54 AM

If only it had WiFi. Surely it does. It looks like a giant MintPad, which has Win CE and WiFi, and does support Win CE apps. With WiFi it could be a better 5" 800 x 480 player than the Archos 5 Android is.

electron 12-21-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olley (Post 425184)
If only it had WiFi. Surely it does. It looks like a giant MintPad, which has Win CE and WiFi, and does support Win CE apps. With WiFi it could be a better 5" 800 x 480 player than the Archos 5 Android is.

I thought the exact same thing. This player looks great, but it really really needs WiFi!!!!

FURR 12-21-2009 12:30 PM

this is very well a Q5 Successor as the UI for the Music Menu are very similar. some other menus are similar as well.

dfkt 12-21-2009 12:37 PM

I don't give a damn about Wifi, it's a video player - I just hope they fixed at least a few of the showstopping bugs of the O2. But knowing Cowon, they didn't learn anything from their mistakes. Now this one's on WinCE while the O2 was Linux. Meaning, they started all over again, with a whole bunch of new issues for sure.

Dog icon - check. Chicken icon - check. Lemonade icon - check... Oh, and a... "DooTester".

Samage89 12-21-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt (Post 425225)
I don't give a damn about Wifi, it's a video player - I just hope they fixed at least a few of the showstopping bugs of the O2. But knowing Cowon, they didn't learn anything from their mistakes. Now this one's on WinCE while the O2 was Linux. Meaning, they started all over again, with a whole bunch of new issues for sure.

Dog icon - check. Chicken icon - check. Lemonade icon - check... Oh, and a... "DooTester".

To be honest, it's a multimedia device, and since it's pretty common in most devices, it seems silly not to include it.

they have the D2+ and S9 marketed towards people who want decent SQ in a device.

and to be fair, at 32gb's, who's going to store a full HD film on there, whether or not it has the potential to use it. saying that though it looks as if ithas an SD/SDHC/mSD etc panel on the side like with the o2 so hopefully they get to grips with what the people want and actually integrate it rather than having it seperate, so maybe it wont be all that bad.

Aevum 12-21-2009 03:56 PM

i just hope its better then the Q5,
and if it has usb host or BT, you could get a wireless connection to it,

Xinz 12-21-2009 08:30 PM

Well, really hope for a SD card slot.
Will it have a onscreen keyboard?

Shortly 12-21-2009 09:56 PM

And... does this player allow the BBE or BBE+ settings for video? That would be a killer for this player to have. I would LOVE it if it would. Some videos are done telescreen or by a camera, and If I could tweak and adjust the sounds during videos, things would be much better!

curiouswonderer 12-21-2009 10:38 PM

Haha dootester...now I'm curious...

I think WiFi would be an added bonus, but if it has all the usual Cowon traits (good SQ/EQ, long battery life, etc.) then I really couldn't care less

Besides that, looks exciting! Can't wait for it to come out!

Syndrome 12-21-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samage89 (Post 425281)
To be honest, it's a multimedia device, and since it's pretty common in most devices, it seems silly not to include it.

they have the D2+ and S9 marketed towards people who want decent SQ in a device.

and to be fair, at 32gb's, who's going to store a full HD film on there, whether or not it has the potential to use it. saying that though it looks as if ithas an SD/SDHC/mSD etc panel on the side like with the o2 so hopefully they get to grips with what the people want and actually integrate it rather than having it seperate, so maybe it wont be all that bad.

If a PMP can't do its duties as a PMP then wifi wont do you ANY good.

And I for one will be using HD videos, because I'm not going to download something twice, or create two rips or two versions. I want one to work on my PC, PMP, and everywhere else.

dfkt 12-22-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shortly (Post 425396)
And... does this player allow the BBE or BBE+ settings for video?

The sad thing is that Cowon's full-fledged PMP, the O2 does not have BBE enhancements in video mode. This might be the most pathetic of all showstoppers on that botched device. To add insult to injury: the D2, S9, i9 - they all have BBE for video. Let's hope they at least got that one right on the V5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syndrome (Post 425417)
If a PMP can't do its duties as a PMP then wifi wont do you ANY good.

And we all know what kind of, say, web browser Cowon would put on such a device - one that would make the Sony X1000's Netfront look good in comparison.

FrododorF 12-22-2009 11:36 AM

looks like a creative design... i wonder what it smells like

anyway web browser/wifi is really a secondary thing imo, it is made for music, and having a web browser on anything without a keyboard is just silly, I can see how it might come in handy once or twice to do a quick internet search. but i can't see really using it for much without a real keyboard

electron 12-22-2009 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well, plenty of people like the iPod Touch because it can browse the web, and it sure doesn't have a keyboard. I really think Cowon should make something like this (or maybe a bit smaller, this is a bit big) with WiFi.
oh, and I don't know why, but I think Cowon should ditch winCE, maybe they should make their own OS and use it on all their PMPs :)

anyway, I was doing some sleuthing on the korean Cowon site, and found some pics that I don't remember seeing before

also, a build-in speaker and SD card slot are confirmed :D

(btw, the pic shows a 32 GB SDHC card making it sound like you could have a whopping 64GB in flash memory, assuming you get the 32 gb version :D)

samurai7 12-22-2009 04:39 PM

How long does Cowon take to bring their products to North America?

dfkt 12-22-2009 04:53 PM

Usually a few months, they never released globally simultaneously. USA usually gets the stuff before Europe, though.

Scottyyy 12-22-2009 05:01 PM

Any ideas on when this might be out over here? Is it out in Korea already?

samurai7 12-22-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy (Post 425590)
Any ideas on when this might be out over here? Is it out in Korea already?

>_> The answer to that question was just answered in the post above you. Its being released in Korea on January 1st, 2010.

Scottyyy 12-22-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai7 (Post 425605)
>_> The answer to that question was just answered in the post above you. Its being released in Korea on January 1st, 2010.

That post wasn't there when I replied. I clicked reply and then went back to the original post to check for a release date once more.

samurai7 12-22-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy (Post 425617)
That post wasn't there when I replied. I clicked reply and then went back to the original post to check for a release date once more.

ahh I see :p

kobashi 12-27-2009 08:27 PM

good video support but I still dunno about this as I not keen on WinCE. It seems like a PMP that istation would be releasing to be honest.

Plus I wanna see how it sorts music as didnt the O2 only support tree folders with no ID3 tags option?

paz101 01-06-2010 10:15 AM

i was finking of getting the s9 to replace my d2- but ive decided to hold out and wait for the release of the cowon v5 HD fingers crossed the wait wont be too long, but it looks a promising device:

heres a website that shows alot of what it could potentally do, wont know for sure how well it actually is able to perform without waiting for a few reviews- but on its potental it looks stella. its in i fink korean so there is alot i dont undrstand but there are a few things that are in english: cowon v5 hd

from what ive read it fixes everything wrong with the last few cowon players. touch wood thats actually the truth :D

dfkt 01-06-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paz101 (Post 430232)
from what ive read it fixes everything wrong with the last few cowon players.

Yeah, and pigs fly.

paz101 01-06-2010 10:19 AM

one thing i really do hate is their non interated stylises- i mean if ur goint to have one they could at least build it into the player itself- but wats done is done :|

paz101 01-06-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt (Post 430233)
Yeah, and pigs fly.

you think its going to me another messy launch with crippling fw?

WalkGood 01-06-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paz101 (Post 430236)

If you're a betting man, I'd bet yes :D

paz101 01-06-2010 10:28 AM

for me looking at the screen shots it looks more like an attempt at a tablet pc rather then a souped up pmp- but all i care about is if it can play my movies, music etc without the need to convert- if it can handle avi's, mkvs etc sound as good as the d2- have dab/dmb that actually works in the uk and a logical menu system i'll be happy.lol i guess that i am asking a lot.

dfkt 01-06-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paz101 (Post 430236)

Most definitely. As seen from the UI screenshots, the V5 clearly builds on the Q5W forefather (not the O2 or A2/3), which in itself was an even bigger disaster than the O2. Pair that with Cowon's implementation of WinCE, and you know it's going to be endlessly flawed.

The aforementioned UI is horribly disgusting as well - seems they couldn't think of a few dozen more mismatched colors and infantile icons to jam in there. Not to mention it looks even more finger-touch-unfriendly than the O2 - if that's even possible. Certainly not made by the team responsible for the (pre-2.50) S9 or i9.

Cowon just can't seem to find one clear path to go down... like a headless chicken they err around between Linux, WinCE, proprietary embedded POSIX systems, Telechips, Wolfson, Texas Instruments, and so on. If they would follow ONE path, they might actually reach a point where they don't release trail-and-error players (that don't even get better despite dozens of firmware updates), but they might create something mature for once.

paz101 01-06-2010 10:32 AM

out of curiosity which would you consider a stand out up and coming pmp that looks like it can deliver on the promises?

dfkt 01-06-2010 10:46 AM

None - they all suck. The O2 might be among those that suck the least. It's a sad state of affairs we're in. Let's see how much the V5 is going to suck, if it's more or less than the O2... that's the best we can hope for.

I'd also keep an eye out for future RAmos players and some other less pathetic Chinese manufacturers. Contrary to more "western" companies these Chinese players actually support codecs/containers that make sense, and they're quite a bit cheaper. Of course they got their fair share of showstopping flaws as well.

RAmos sure has a better grasp of UI design already than the much more expensive and reputed Cowon PMPs: http://mp4nation.net/blog/2009/08/ramos-t11rk-ui-shots/ (Both the RAmos and the O2 of course rip off the iPod Touch to some extent, but at least the RAmos looks "2008", while the O2 looks "1999".)

paz101 01-06-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt (Post 430248)

RAmos sure has a better grasp of UI design

the interface does look quite nice- heres a lil vid review the problem is these players dont tend to have a europen relase and i wouldnt wanna really import- and still getting one is oft an even bigger gamble, not as much coverage/ after care/ as good a following. and as you say everything has their annoyances.

the problem is western pmp/mp3 players tend to have great ui's very intuative and mouthwarteringly sexy.lol but their bloody codex support is abysmal or you have to use rubbish like itunes. but with eastern pmp/mp3 players the reverse is true!! and sumtimes wat they claim they can do is usually a stretch of the truth- so its sooo annoying trying to figure out what will give you the best of both worlds.

idealy there'll be sumthing that comes along that can play everything you throw at it without being a pain to use or post a bomb. fingers crossed it'll be this year

Thomasj 01-16-2010 06:30 PM

from Cowon website
http://eng.cowon.net/board/bbs_press...E03&number=111

Quote:

COWON to launch HD PMP 'COWON V5 HD' http://eng.cowon.net/images/bbs/news_border_top.gifDecember 21, 2009, Seoul – COWON SYSTEM (President Park, Nam Gyu, www.cowon.com) announced that they would launch an ultra HD 'COWON V5 HD' which supports HD Video and HD TV-OUT on January 1 (Fri.) next year.

'COWON V5 HD' to come is an upgraded PMP of the next generation to open an era of portable HD video. Now you can find a powerful function of playing even HD (H.264) video beyond the limits of existing PMPs and enjoy excellent HD video in your hand through the large and high resolution touch LCD (800 x 480) with 4.8 inches and 16.7 million colors.

In addition, HD TV-OUT will allow you to make excellent use of it as a portable HD video player. 'COWON V5 HD' provides you with a HDMI terminal which transfers HD contents to the other devices with no losses. You can enjoy HD videos conveniently through the large screen connected to your digital TV in your house. So it can stand comparison with DVD players.

Also 'COWON V5 HD' provides you with excellent selections when you enjoy music. As it is equipped with renowned BBE+ and JetEffect 3.0 with innovative Reverb effect applied, you can experience real audio sound and enjoy music conveniently through the embedded speakers without earphones.

The moment you grip it, you will find it very light and slim with an excellent ergonomic design. Having an excellent grip with the slim body of 15.7mm thick weighing 197g, it is easy to carry around with you.

Moreover, the bright and interesting UI made for a puzzle type under the concept 'Life is Love' is amusing as well as easy to use. You can move icons from this device to the other places you want easily, configure menus optimized for your usage patterns and touch icons to see cars transformed into robots and hearts jumping around.

'COWON V5 HD' allows you to play music 45 hours continuously and videos 10 hours to the maximum with its embedded battery. So you can use it freely in your business trips or holidays. It supports a slip mode up to 300 hours which is directly available with no additional booting process. Also, you can extend its battery capacity using SD card slots as needed.

With a variety of useful functions for learning, it includes 'E4U DioCic English-Korean/Korea-English Dictionary' by YBM Sisa, 'Avdic', an audio/video language program that shows subtitles simultaneously when playing videos, and 'Dotester', a select e-learning test book by Doosan Dong-A. In case of a DIC model, it has many kinds of dictionaries such as English-Korean/Korea-English, Japanese-Korean/Korean-Japanese, Chinese-Korean/Korean-Chinese, English-English and Korean.

Besides, it supports not only DMB but also a variety of convenient functions such as MyPlus (RSS Viewer), sound recording, book-view/cartoon-view, calculator, notepad, converter, digital photo frame, world clock, office guru, flash, games, mobile games from SKT, etc.

President Park said, ''COWON V5 HD' is a next generation PMP which will open a new market for portable HD video devices. As we have made great efforts to create this device for upgraded performance and quality, we expect that it will play a great role to lead PMP markets next year.'

On the other hand, 'COWON V5 HD' will be available in four vivid colors such as white/black/silver/pink under three model types of standard, DMB and DIC.

Thomasj 01-16-2010 08:58 PM

I wonder does the v5 have a fm radio?

cukee 01-25-2010 04:36 PM

A little short video review

Heathie89 01-25-2010 10:28 PM

^ The interface is a mess!

dfkt 01-26-2010 07:52 AM

UI looks a bit less vomit-inducing and slightly more "modern" than the disgusting O2. But it also looks more ass-backwards, overly complicated, and even more finger-unfriendly. Never thought that's actually possible, considering how terrible the O2 already is, usability-wise.

The DarkSide 02-07-2010 07:12 AM

Wow, totally cluttered interface.

EddieE 02-07-2010 07:37 AM

I'm fairly convinced a completely different team works on Cowon consumer daps (D2, S9, i9 etc) and their PMPs.

I imagine the latter team being some kind of community project to give people with learning difficulties something to do with their time...

dfkt 02-07-2010 07:40 AM

I wish those hacks would Eat Their Own Dogfood, so they know how awful and unusable their firmwares are. That's the only surefire method to ensure quality in a player. I bet iPod firmware developers actually use the players they designed...

ajai_dev 02-16-2010 03:10 AM

Had a chance to play a little with the V5 its was confusing to navigate but the sound quality is very good. Its not a bad player for the price IMHO but deserves a better execution.

kiyu727 02-27-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajai_dev (Post 443087)
Had a chance to play a little with the V5 its was confusing to navigate but the sound quality is very good. Its not a bad player for the price IMHO but deserves a better execution.

So if I want best available music quality from cowon, should I wait for the V5 or get another instead ?
Im using the Cowon E2 btw ...

Im asking since the video-player capabilities caught my interest but music quality still weights more though

TheWolfster 03-17-2010 12:47 AM

I just ordered one. I, too, dislike the UI, but I'm looking forward to tinkering with the Windows CE side of things.

I remember back when I had an iPaq (HP PDA), there was a special type of SD card you could buy that had WiFi. I wonder if that would work...

It didn't require any special app or driver, you just added it, and the OS picked it up.

I still have it (I think)! Once my V5 gets here I'll try it.

TheWolfster 03-18-2010 09:02 PM

Just arrived. First things first, make sure you guys back up the folder heirachy if you plan to format it to exFat (like I did). That'll allow you place 4GB+ video files on the system without any limitations.

As to whether or not they play...I'll try that later (long day at work, super tired). Still haven't found my WiFi card.

Initial impressions: I like it, but hate the UI. Interface is a tad clumsy with fingers. The stylus is good, but not exactly fun to use. I like the animation for "USB connected".

Its a guy batting baseballs (hard to explain, will take pics).

Will do:

720p AVCHD H264 (4.1) MKV video! and AAC/AC3 audio.

I can't get 5.1 DTS audio to play.

It won't do encoded softsubs, I guess I have to extract them.

Looks amazing. I'm happy :)

cukee 03-18-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWolfster (Post 452794)

Will do:

720p AVCHD H265 (4.1) MKV video! and AAC/AC3 audio.

I can't get 5.1 DTS audio to play. :)

Nice to hear it can play back AAC audio in MKV container. It didnt list on their spec's as a supported audio codec. Will it play back 6ch AAC audio in MKV container ? Cause I might get a black 16 gb when it's available. A little expensive, but it worth it IMO.

As for DTS audio, you have to buy a plug-in for it (aka Archos). It's available in Korea, dont know when it come to USA.

Please, make a review.

TheWolfster 03-19-2010 05:56 PM

I have some time this weekend (spring break...finally), so I'll try to put together a mini-review, nothing extensive; I'll leave that to the pros on this site. ;)

I am a bit of a video junkie, so I'll be sure to try lots of different formats that aren't supported.

I also have a 32GB SDHC card on the way (class 4), so I'll see how that performs. It'd be cool if I can mount it to the existing flash memory (in CE) so it shows up as one big 48GB drive. That would make it so very easy to manage all my media content.

And for those of you are interested, its now available on Amazon.

Olley 03-19-2010 10:33 PM

I'd get one, but right now they seem too expensive for what you get.

Luciferhawke 03-21-2010 04:46 AM

Thanks for the amazon link. 280? i'll pass

WalkGood 03-21-2010 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cukee (Post 452812)
Nice to hear it can play back AAC audio in MKV container. ...

Well my i9 plays aac in mkv container and AFAIK the s9 and other cowon's do too.

shyuj 03-26-2010 05:32 AM

Cowon V5 questions

I've been using a modded out Palm Lifedrive as a video player for a couple years now, and would like to switch over to something where the battery life is better than the 3-4 hours I currently get.

Can anyone tell me if the V5 screen is made out of the same gorilla glass that the S9 is made out of? If not, would I have to get a screen protector?

Also, how's the volume on the external speaker? I'd like to use this for my kids when we're out and about and want to know if it's possible to get away with the onboard speaker. How badly would the speaker drain the battery if left to run on full or even half volume? Does it even sound good at full volume?

Any chance the UI could be modded to something a little less ugly as well as more finger-touch friendly?

Questions, questions, questions. =)