abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Headphone Amplifiers (Portable) (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Recommended amp for HD650 used with laptop and J3 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66887)

Moyt 12-10-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syndrome (Post 588206)
And I don't miss. ;) :p


http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2.../tombstone.jpg

Syndrome 12-10-2011 11:35 PM

I wouldn't even look at the Echo as bang for the buck. More just like a very good option that I've never seen beat. They use the exact same hardware and software in the Echo AudioFire 12

Moyt 12-11-2011 05:45 AM

Ahhh all that in the AF2 but with 2 balanced analogues instead?
Any experience with connections via S/PDIF or Optical for 192kHz/24-bit playback. Does it necessarily provide 'better' playback experience?

Cheers

Syndrome 12-11-2011 09:43 AM

I haven't used the spdif so I can't say if its better. But honestly I've never really noticed much of a difference going with those higher bit rates. Though one thing I have noticed the AF2 didn't work with, bit rates that were high, like on a Blu Ray disk with their 'High Definition Sound' then I couldn't use my AF2.

dfkt 12-11-2011 09:48 AM

Human ears can't distinguish 16/44 from 24/96 or higher anyways - they sound exactly the same. Some "high resolution" albums might be mixed/mastered differently, but technically there's no audible difference. 24/96 is useful in a studio during mixing/mastering, but for the end consumer it's either a scam to sell pricier devices, or for placebo believers.

Moyt 12-11-2011 11:12 AM

Arrr I see thanks for your replies.
I see concerns from others for wanting to have even 24/192 playback at various places. This is all money sucking and unnecessary hype for nothing then.
What kind of media format is there that plays that kind of quality??
Even something like Blu-spec audio CDs won't go beyond 16/44 I think.

As for my sinful purchase (which I still haven't cancelled :P), I plan to redeem myself with the ODA+Oda dac now when it eventually surfaces for the whole world to experience. I really hope in the first quater of 2012 :)

I haven't forgot about poor J3 either, I'm will go Headstage 4g for that whenever that becomes readily available. Not anytime soon looking at their site or FB page.

For now I will try to enjoy my overpriced usb thingy thing :D
Prob won't get that anytime soon either, worst time to buy anything... doh!

WalkGood 12-11-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moyt (Post 588269)
... For now I will try to enjoy my overpriced usb thingy thing ...

Let me get this straight, you asked for opinions about the Nuforce and no one gave a good one and after reading that scathing review you’re still going with it :confused:

Edit: if you just want something to keep you happy till you decide which way your going and what you want, just look at the FiiO E10 USB/DAC headphone amp, I've seen it for $81.00. BTW I'm sure it will hold a good value and you could easily sell it once you get what you want for the long haul ... who knows, that might just keep you happy and you'll have saved hundreds :)

Limp 12-11-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt (Post 588261)
Human ears can't distinguish 16/44 from 24/96 or higher anyways - they sound exactly the same. Some "high resolution" albums might be mixed/mastered differently, but technically there's no audible difference. 24/96 is useful in a studio during mixing/mastering, but for the end consumer it's either a scam to sell pricier devices, or for placebo believers.

While more than 44.1kHz is definitely bogus, 24bit DACs can be very nifty if you like the convenience of software volume controls. But then we're not really discussing 24bit audio, as you'd get the same advantage by simply changing the bit-depth from 16 to 24 before it is sent to the DAC.

24/192 can be bought both as direct dowloads and as DVD-A discs, but if you you want something truly ridiculous, you should buy a blu-ray disc with DXD audio, wich is 24/352.8 :rolleyes:

Satellite_6 12-11-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limp (Post 588294)
While more than 44.1kHz is definitely bogus, 24bit DACs can be very nifty if you like the convenience of software volume controls. But then we're not really discussing 24bit audio, as you'd get the same advantage by simply changing the bit-depth from 16 to 24 before it is sent to the DAC.

24/192 can be bought both as direct dowloads and as DVD-A discs, but if you you want something truly ridiculus, you should buy a blu-ray disc with DXD audio, wich is 24/352.8 :rolleyes:

Holy balls. 0_o

lol.

saratoga 12-11-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood (Post 588196)
I'd pass, BTW did you read http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/...c-2-drama.html I know is the cheaper one, but certainly makes you think twice.

So not only are they stupidly overpriced, but they're also not very good. Where do people find this junk?

Limp 12-11-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saratoga (Post 588299)
So not only are they stupidly overpriced, but they're also not very good. Where do people find this junk?

Head-Fi ;)

Satellite_6 12-11-2011 06:58 PM

The Heavily-Funded forum. . . gotta love it.

Syndrome 12-11-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood (Post 588290)
Let me get this straight, you asked for opinions about the Nuforce and no one gave a good one and after reading that scathing review youíre still going with it :confused:

Edit: if you just want something to keep you happy till you decide which way your going and what you want, just look at the FiiO E10 USB/DAC headphone amp, I've seen it for $81.00. BTW I'm sure it will hold a good value and you could easily sell it once you get what you want for the long haul ... who knows, that might just keep you happy and you'll have saved hundreds :)

Don't fill his head with ideas like that. Make him get an Echo AF2 and if he decides to move on and get something else then he can sell it to me for 1/4 of what he paid for it. :D

WalkGood 12-12-2011 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syndrome (Post 588331)
Don't fill his head with ideas like that. Make him get an Echo AF2 and if he decides to move on and get something else then he can sell it to me for 1/4 of what he paid for it. :D

Syndrome, if you want used Echo Audiofire2 @ $125.00 look here and OP inferred another price drop, so work him ;) If you want new AF2, B&H has them for $169.00 and if you want that NuForce crap there’s loads of used ones for sale on headfi, hopefully people will stop believing the crap written by people like this.

Moyt 12-12-2011 06:20 AM

Hahaha ohh boy I can't argue with you guys, I told you already I've committed a crime of a purchase that will send me to hell :p
Head-fi, hmm never really read into their stuff other than the trouble nwavguy had with them. They make you buy everything expensive or something?:D

Edit: Ok ok, cancelled, cancelled, cancelled, mighty audiophile masters. Truly I am not worthy to go forth and make such purchases in your presence lol.
Hopefully they'll cancel it. They better not send it AFTER seeing my request and then say "ooops we never realised, sorry your stuck with it now bub! Kind regards... NuForce".

I'll be back :cool:
(…with something errr better.......... I think. *chants* “NuForce! NuForce!” heh)

Enigmatic 12-12-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moyt (Post 588381)
Head-fi, hmm never really read into their stuff other than the trouble nwavguy had with them. They make you buy everything expensive or something?:D

Instead of debunking audio myths, Head-Fi encourages them. Head-Fi, therefore, helps their sponsors to rip-off Head-Fiís members.

Moyt 12-13-2011 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigmatic (Post 588389)
helps their sponsors to rip-off Head-Fi’s members.

:eek:


Well its bye bye NuForce now, got it sorted.
So I welcome the super duper $100000000 dac amp of the millennium from amazon ;)
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...tos/fiio10.jpg

Hopefully will arrive 2mo, but 2days at the worst. £62/$97 free delivery. Should I have bought it outside the EU cheaper, with customs and higher shipping it would have worked out more if not the same.

Now I dread THIS doesn't happen to me.
One recent buyer from the same seller at Amazon reported this also in the review.
I doubt I'd be moving cables about to that extent anyways, but either way no one should have to go through that if it's built solid.
Seller is an authorised seller for Fiio in the UK also, so warranty shouldn't be a problem if I have probs.
Otherwise from what I've read it's most certainly pleasing for the price. Hopefully no objections this time :)

If we're talking saving, getting something decent while I wait for something much better down the line, then the Echo AF2 I'm leaving out.
Even if I found one used in great condition it would still cost more than a new Fiio 10, plus I'd also have to buy a firewire express card for it.
Not sure how different an experience this would have made for me compared to the Fiio 10...:o
Sorry Syndrome no 1/4 sale from me this time heh, but WG's find looks like a bargain especially if haggled further down.

Btw if I wanted to go with a tube I would have gone for the Bottleneck crack (cheers Limp) with mods over the wa3, but I'll leave that luxury for another time. I most definitely want a tube in the near future.

But the main course and desert really is the release of the ODA and ODAC.
I hope it wipes the frikin floor with all those overpriced amps and dacs out there :cool:

Again thanks everyone for their views, advice and amusements :D

dfkt 12-13-2011 03:31 AM

Good choice, the E10 is a very nice sound card.

Moyt 12-13-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt (Post 588542)
Good choice, the E10 is a very nice sound card.

I have high hopes ;)

dfkt 12-13-2011 10:19 AM

I wrote a bit about the E10 here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=66344


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.