abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip Rockbox (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Rockbox: Clip v1 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36978)

dfkt 11-30-2008 03:16 PM

Rockbox: Clip v1

Quote:

Originally Posted by #rockbox-community
[20:43] * bertrik celebrates sound on his clip with a nice glass of orange juice (out of beer)

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?...9972#msg139972

Now I can (almost) die happy...

sansaguy 11-30-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt (Post 303932)

OMG! Rockbox for Clip and my Fuze...be still my fluttering heart :rolleyes:

helpme123 11-30-2008 03:41 PM

that's awesome!

samueljesusfreak 12-01-2008 09:46 AM

First Rockbox on my D2, now hopefully soon on the Clip I don't even own yet =]

Mikerman 12-01-2008 02:06 PM

And how many angels can dance on the head of a pin ...

;)

Thankfully, there is great interest in the Clip, and so development hopefully should speed along for a port for the Clip and Fuze!

Andreas 12-01-2008 02:14 PM

>.<

*puts clip up for sale*

ketsuki 12-01-2008 02:47 PM

Haha w00t.
but i haven't opened mine and i think it might be a v1...
and i loved rockbox so much...

LambdaCalculus379 12-02-2008 11:56 AM

There's still a lot of work to be done on getting sound working 100% on the Clip and Fuze, but it's true... there's sound, all right! :)

Llorean 12-02-2008 12:03 PM

Just to be very clear: We do not provide support for these players. They are NOT SUPPORTED. They're still in development, please do not come to our forums asking how to install. The information is already in the developer documentation if you wish to develop.

We will post on the front page of our site updating the list of supported players when it's ready for normal users.

Mikerman 12-02-2008 01:49 PM

Yes, that's true--I think people here are simply happy for the positive development news, and the increased potential, now, for a working version in the future.

Chitown26 12-03-2008 02:33 PM

I just received my black 4GB Clip today in the mail. I'm curious as to why everyone is excited about the Rockbox developments. I've heard of Rockbox before, but why is it better than the current firmware?

sansaguy 12-03-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitown26 (Post 304968)
I just received my black 4GB Clip today in the mail. I'm curious as to why everyone is excited about the Rockbox developments. I've heard of Rockbox before, but why is it better than the current firmware?

I guess it's one of those...'you'll know it when you see it' kind of things with Rockbox. In a few words it's MUCH better functionality plus the advantage of using higher capacity cards that makes most of us who have Rockboxed players use it much more that the official firmware.

WalkGood 12-03-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaguy (Post 304971)
I guess it's one of those...'you'll know it when you see it' kind of things with Rockbox. In a few words it's MUCH better functionality plus the advantage of using higher capacity cards that makes most of us who have Rockboxed players use it much more that the official firmware.

With the clip, a higher capacity card isn't important as the clip does not have an expansion slot. IMO, It's more like gapless, pan & eq tweaks that are way better than the OF.

soap 12-03-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ketsuki (Post 304291)
Haha w00t.
but i haven't opened mine and i think it might be a v1...
and i loved rockbox so much...

All three of mine were v1s. Though the good news is that two of them have been redistributed to people who know what to do with them. (The third is just another block in my tower.) ;)

Mikerman 12-04-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitown26 (Post 304968)

And let's not forget, folderview. :)

Plus, possibly, the ability to alter the screenview (if even minimally).

Lucky Luciano 12-04-2008 02:33 PM

There's no such thing as Sansa Clip V1. There's only Revision 1 and revision 2 which are different variants of the V2 architecture: http://daniel.haxx.se/sansa/v2.html

advcomp2019 12-04-2008 04:54 PM

Lucky Luciano, that is why Rockbox renamed the port from Sansa v2 family to AMS Sansa.

SanDisk uses version.

funman 12-05-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Luciano (Post 305335)
There's no such thing as Sansa Clip V1. There's only Revision 1 and revision 2 which are different variants of the V2 architecture: http://daniel.haxx.se/sansa/v2.html

In rockbox we use Clipv1 and Clipv2 to differentiate the two, even if they are probably both using the V2 architecture.

If someone has a Clipv2 and is ready to run (risky) code on it, just come by #rockbox on freenode

dfkt 12-05-2008 01:38 PM

http://anythingbutipod.com/images/fo...050058-640.jpg

Now I really can die happy: pan/balance, file/folder, gapless, proper EQ.

I love you guys.

Notice, once again: this is not functional, and you can't use it yet. Please don't ask where to get it. Thanks.

samueljesusfreak 12-05-2008 04:13 PM

That picture honestly sent a shiver down my spine. I cannot wait. I hope they're able to find a recovery function for this player. Ohhh its soo beautiful =]

funman 12-05-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samueljesusfreak (Post 305634)
I hope they're able to find a recovery function for this player. Ohhh its soo beautiful =]

Unfortunately it seems there is no recovery at all, so the risk can not be 0.

That just means we have to be very cautious when writing the code which patches the firmware ;)

The development tools in rockbox svn seem to work now, after I "only" bricked 2 Clips when working on it :/

binaryhermit 12-05-2008 09:36 PM

Some observations: The default theme could use a bit of tweaking due to the line between the yellow part of the screen and the blue part of the screen. Resume is buggy. Seeking is buggy. It randomly crashes. It'd be nice if you could add the bootloader to OF version 1.1.30. Basically, they're right when they say "don't try this at home"

Mikerman 12-05-2008 10:25 PM

Absolutely. But, wow.

:)

funman 12-06-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaryhermit (Post 305719)
Some observations: The default theme could use a bit of tweaking due to the line between the yellow part of the screen and the blue part of the screen. Resume is buggy. Seeking is buggy. It randomly crashes. It'd be nice if you could add the bootloader to OF version 1.1.30. Basically, they're right when they say "don't try this at home"

I noticed the theme problem, you can change that in .rockbox/wps/cabbiev2.128x64x1.wps by changing the 2 first |6| to |8| so it's aligned on the blue/yellow separation. (still not in svn because other models use the screen resolution and same file)

about resume/seek/crash you should patch your build with FS#9332 : i use that and i only have some little skips but no crashes

and finally you can patch any firmware you want (the mkamsboot program has a list of known OF and will print a warning if you have an untested one, be very careful because untested firmwares could brick your player), myself i use the 1.1.30 and have no problems with it

Note that there is still a lot of work to do on this port, so if you can code, feel free to propose your help (especially I find the current keymap a lot buggy, and it's easy to fix I think even for non programmers)

sansaguy 12-07-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Note that there is still a lot of work to do on this port, so if you can code, feel free to propose your help (especially I find the current keymap a lot buggy, and it's easy to fix I think even for non programmers)
so funman, I know this is kinda putting you on the spot but in your best estimation how long before there's a version stable enough for the general public to use....6 months??...:rolleyes:

funman 12-07-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaguy (Post 306352)
so funman, I know this is kinda putting you on the spot but in your best estimation how long before there's a version stable enough for the general public to use....6 months??...:rolleyes:

can't tell really, i'm as much impatient as you, but it will be stable enough for public use when:

1/ missing code is written (recording, FM, >2GB internal storage, USB)
2/ written code is debugged
3/ manual is written
4/ use brain so most of the screens do not look weird on the blue/yellow screen ;)
5/ testing is made, above steps are repeated

Sorry guys but I can't estimate any of these points, of course it will go quicker if new programmers hear about the effort and join the course ..

binaryhermit 12-08-2008 09:25 PM

Well, after applying the "read audio data directly from flash" patch, this thing's quite a bit more stable. Still needs some work on resuming/seeking, but at least it doesn't crash if you look at it funny and is somewhat usable.
Seems there's also room for battery life optimization (like fixing whatever caused the CPU to not get stuck at 248 MHz).
About the clip getting officially supported, it certainly won't happen in 3.1 (freezing tomorrow?). I think one of the developers said it'd probably happen in 3.2 (March?) or 3.3 (June?). On the other hand, the Gigabeat S got sound just over 7 months ago and still isn't supported.

dfkt 12-10-2008 07:57 AM

http://anythingbutipod.com/images/fo...100074-640.jpg

samueljesusfreak 12-10-2008 09:45 AM

Ahh Stop!! I don't even have my clip, nor have I used one, but you make me want a rockbox build right away!! If it comes out before my Clip comes in the mail(It was supposed to be here yesterday), I might just stick Rockbox on there and stay with it. I'm sure it's got a while before it's nearly stable, but yeah. Imagine kicking on the mpeg plugin on this beast! I've never seen a clip start on fire!! :P

dfkt 12-10-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samueljesusfreak (Post 307252)
Imagine kicking on the mpeg plugin on this beast! I've never seen a clip start on fire!! :P

Well, from what I heard the Clip's CPU should be quite overpowered/underused for what it does in this tiny player... it should handle video, Doom[tm], and other shenanigans, more or less. It's the same as the Fuze, anyway. Of course the Clip's screen might be a minor drawback there... ;)

samueljesusfreak 12-10-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt (Post 307255)
Well, from what I heard the Clip's CPU should be quite overpowered/underused for what it does in this tiny player... it should handle video, Doom[tm], and other shenanigans, more or less. It's the same as the Fuze, anyway. Of course the Clip's screen might be a minor drawback there... ;)

Hmm.. after Rockbox possibly becomes a stable port, how hard do you think porting a 2-color tetris game played with the clip on it's side? Could happen. In the future. Farrr future. All I care about right now is gapless and advanced EQ. My ultra-high end JVC HA-FX34 require only the best, you know. :p

dfkt 12-10-2008 10:04 AM

There's already a lot of games on the Clip. All that are in the Rockbox plugin index except Doom, GB/GBC emu, etc. - for obvious reasons. Tetris is called Rockblox for copyright reasons.

samueljesusfreak 12-10-2008 10:08 AM

Yeah I know but those adjust to the resolution and colors? Sorry I don't know much about the super-inner workings of Rockbox. I really wish I could, though. Have you tried the breakout clone that's on there? I forget the name, and the rockbox page is blocked on my school's connection. >.<

saratoga 12-10-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samueljesusfreak (Post 307268)
Yeah I know but those adjust to the resolution and colors? Sorry I don't know much about the super-inner workings of Rockbox. I really wish I could, though. Have you tried the breakout clone that's on there? I forget the name, and the rockbox page is blocked on my school's connection. >.<

Most work on other greyscale and monochrome targets, so they should work on the clip eventually, though buttons and resolution may require tweaking.

samueljesusfreak 12-10-2008 10:24 AM

That's awesome. If I get to play breakout on my Clip once this is out, my life will be COMPLETE.

kredig 12-10-2008 12:01 PM

this is really interesting. i hope the development will turn out positive for the clip. it would make the clip even more attractive when the rockbox would actually work almost bug-free.
i am really looking forward to this project. hopefully i won't need that much time for a public release

samueljesusfreak 12-10-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kredig (Post 307305)
this is really interesting. i hope the development will turn out positive for the clip. it would make the clip even more attractive when the rockbox would actually work almost bug-free.
i am really looking forward to this project. hopefully i won't need that much time for a public release

Hopefully. I'm still lost on the whole V1,V2 thing, but I don't see anything on this board that really explains it much.

All i know is that there is no recovery mode(yet. we should ask sansa to put one in the firmware release, unless its not part of the firmware, which it probably isn't).

Just make it reallyreallyreally stable when you patch it! :P

saratoga 12-10-2008 03:25 PM

No one has opened a V2, so no one knows what they are.

sansaguy 12-10-2008 04:32 PM

geez...forget Santa...I want Rockbox on my Fuze!! :D

h1a8 12-10-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt (Post 303932)
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?...9972#msg139972

Now I can (almost) die happy...

The port is not functional yet - please don't ask where to get it, how to install it, etc.

Where can I download the latest rockbox for clip and how do I install it?
Thanks!

dfkt 12-10-2008 06:52 PM

You are effing kidding me, right?

h1a8 12-10-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt (Post 307421)
You are effing kidding me, right?

No sir.
I'm not familiar with any rockbox. I just saw the picture you posted with clip, rockbox, and ue11. The link doesn't say how to download it. I assume it exists since you have it.

dfkt 12-10-2008 07:32 PM

You did read the bright red text?

saratoga 12-10-2008 08:01 PM

Amazing.

h1a8 12-10-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt (Post 307442)
You did read the bright red text?

No I didn't.
Maybe I was too geeked up about rockbox for clip and missed it. The "v1 has sound" made me totally miss the pretty red wording. I just clicked the link immediately to try to find the download. I also scrolled down to read the others posts and seen the picture you posted.

Sorry!:o

Maybe black bold is better.
Red just doesn't cut it anymore.:p

samueljesusfreak 12-10-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h1a8 (Post 307469)
No I didn't.
Maybe I was too geeked up about rockbox for clip and missed it. The "v1 has sound" made me totally miss the pretty red wording. I just clicked the link immediately to try to find the download. I also scrolled down to read the others posts and seen the picture you posted.

Sorry!:o

Ahhhh. This just made my day. Honestly. Thank you.

saratoga 12-10-2008 09:55 PM

Clicking but not reading is a great way to brick a Sansa, fyi.

samueljesusfreak 12-11-2008 10:28 AM

That's how I "ruined" my first computer, really. I deleted the WINDOWS folder because I wasn't "using" the files inside. Now I'm a tad bit more knowledgeable, and know for sure, h1a8, that if you don't spend at least an hour looking around the Rockbox site and see whats going down, you can say goodbye to your Clip. Be patient. I've only been here a couple weeks and the Clip port is going so much faster than the D2. All it takes is patience.

LLMP 12-20-2008 05:26 PM

does anyone know if rockbox will be supported for v2 clip?

FreeZ5 12-20-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h1a8 (Post 307469)

Since a fair percent of males are RED-green colour blind, thats a good idea. I just went back to the first post. It doesn't stand out for me, but I recall reading the sentence.

Steve